should my brew have an odor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18thstatebrew

Reaction score
I just brewed my very first batch and I have it fermenting now in my closet. It is causing my closet to have an odor. is this normal? or could my batch be contaminated?

I really dont know how fermenting beer is supposed to smell. I smell the hops and enjoy that smell, but there is also a funky smell that im not sure of.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. thanks

Smell eggy or a bit like poop? Most likely sulphur, some strains throw a lot out and it stinks, but as CO2 leaves beer it strips sulphur out so you shouldn't get much left in the final product.

I just brewed my very first batch and I have it fermenting now in my closet. It is causing my closet to have an odor. is this normal? or could my batch be contaminated?

I really dont know how fermenting beer is supposed to smell. I smell the hops and enjoy that smell, but there is also a funky smell that im not sure of.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. thanks

Fermenting beer gives off some funky smells. Yeast have some powerful poots.
I just happen to have two carboys going right now in my fermenting chest. I went home at lunch to check how it was going and as soon as I opened the chest my son thought I had farted. :D

Thanks for both replies. I was really worried that I would have a bad batch. Just out of curiosity, what would a contaminated batch smell like?

A contaminated batch will smell like rotting/sewer and taste the same with that said farts aren't a sewer smell with time your closet will start to sell like beer if you think you might have a bad batch give it a taste it should taste somewhat sweet/flat beer taste depending on how long it's been fermenting. It may even taste a bit like a green piece of grass. If it taste like someone took a dump in your mouth it might be bad.

Yeast puts out all kinds of aromas. My ale "fermentation chamber" sits in a closet near the air intake for our furnace, and I can always tell when they start to do their business.

Not sure what a contaminated batch would smell like.

RDWHAHB. Unless it smells like decay, it's probably normal. Fermentation gets pretty funky sometimes. Let it ferment out and see where it stands in a few weeks.

Yeah it's smells like a fart more than anything. So I think it will be just fine. I'm about to rack it into the secondary over some kent goldings for a week or so.

Thanks for all of the replies

Back