Should it look like this..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidbath

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. I don't recall my last batch looking like this, so I'm wondering if this is normal? I've added about 3/4 cup of sugar and a half tablespoon of pectic enzyme. I'd say it started looking like this less than 24 hrs later. Hopefully it's just something I didn't see last time I fermented... Thanks!

DSCF3322.jpg

Whatcha brewin there acidbath?

Do you have a recipe or some details about your process you could share, it might help people help provide a better answer to your question.

Many accounts on the forums about no two fermentations being identical, even when everything about them is the same.

When I added gelatin in the past, to clear, it had a similar affect when I cold crashed.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. I don't recall my last batch looking like this, so I'm wondering if this is normal? I've added about 3/4 cup of sugar and a half tablespoon of pectic enzyme. I'd say it started looking like this less than 24 hrs later. Hopefully it's just something I didn't see last time I fermented... Thanks!

DSCF3322.jpg

Is this with Safale S-04 yeast?

First off I've used unpasteurized cider for both- both gallons from different orchards. I should also mention that I'm very good about sterilizing everything!

The first time I brewed, I did a 1/4 of sugar, and half a can of condensed apple cider, with half a tablespoon of pectic enzyme. The cider never actually cleared up till about 2 weeks in, after the yeast had died off, and my cider was "mellowing" out.

This time, I did 3/4 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of pectic enzyme. It seems to be clearing, aside from from these odd little floating clouds.

My biggest concern is that I can't measure the temperate at the moment, but I fear my room may be a bit cold... Hopefully that's not the case, though, if it is, I am return home from school tomorrow where I can store my concoction in a more suitable space.

First off I've used unpasteurized cider for both- both gallons from different orchards. I should also mention that I'm very good about sterilizing everything!

The first time I brewed, I did a 1/4 of sugar, and half a can of condensed apple cider, with half a tablespoon of pectic enzyme. The cider never actually cleared up till about 2 weeks in, after the yeast had died off, and my cider was "mellowing" out.

This time, I did 3/4 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of pectic enzyme. It seems to be clearing, aside from from these odd little floating clouds.

My biggest concern is that I can't measure the temperate at the moment, but I fear my room may be a bit cold... Hopefully that's not the case, though, if it is, I am return home from school tomorrow where I can store my concoction in a more suitable space.

What kind of yeast

I used the same yeast when I used gelatin to clear a cyser, and when cold, it had the same affect. It's doing what it's supposed to do. It will drop. The cider will be very clear.

I used the same yeast when I used gelatin to clear a cyser, and when cold, it had the same affect. It's doing what it's supposed to do. It will drop. The cider will be very clear.

Thank you for easing my mind! I appreciate it!

I'm putting my money on RDWHAHB. It looks like pulp flocculating or clumping up and falling out of suspension to me.

I bet by the end of another week or two it's all sitting nice tightly compacted in the bottom of your primary.

EDIT: slow fingers, Fletch beat me to it.

How could I have forgotten to mention my yeast!? I pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne for both batches.

Ok....Every batch I've made with S-04 I get a heavy layer of lees on the bottom. Large chunks will float up like its boiling. When its done, it all drops out and piles up on the bottom.

So, funny story- I drove 3 hrs home from school today and sure enough, about 2.5 hrs into the drive I started smellin' some apple... yep- the carboy fell over and half the cider was under my driver-side seat.

I guess I didn't need any input in the end after all!

O NOES! :eek:

Did they make you clean out your room for break?

You're a brave man for making the attempt.

I was doing it at my apartment and was going to leave it home till I came back for winter break.

*Sigh* Can't win 'em all.

Never seen one like that before with cider....I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like a strong fermentation and is probably churning everything up fronm the bottom. My beer usually looks like that!

Back