Should IPA starter be hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
Should a starter for an IPA be hopped? If so how much hop/alpha acid would I want to use for a 1 or 2 liter 1.040 starter? I am only guessing but wouldnt a non-hopped starter for an high hop beer like an IPA dilute the beer somewhat if the starter was not hopped? And likewise not be as necessary for a lightly hopped beer style? Are there any tricks used to add hops to a starter that will improve the hop character/bitterness of a beer?

A 1 to 2 liter starter shouldn't change the hop utilization that much. I wouldn't sweat it: you get more difference with the amounts and timing of AAs during your boil.

the purpose of a starter is simply to increase the cell count, I make a starter on my stir plate and after it is done I chill the starter until the yeast drops out to the bottom, then syphon off the clear beer and pitch the cake at the bottom of the flask. no real dilution of your beer that way.

the purpose of a starter is simply to increase the cell count, I make a starter on my stir plate and after it is done I chill the starter until the yeast drops out to the bottom, then syphon off the clear beer and pitch the cake at the bottom of the flask. no real dilution of your beer that way.
I have done the chill thing before too and used only the slurry, but recently made a 1.076 OG and made a 2 liter starter which I dumped the whole thing in after 24 hours of the starter fermenting, so I ended up adding almost 1/2 gallon of un-hopped beer, this is why I was wondering about hopping it next time or not.

I've never made a starter (first one this weekend) but just out of curiousity...How does a 2 liter yield 1.2 gallons of un-hopped beer? 2 liter is about 0.52 gallons. If you really wanted to account for it I would think you would calculate your batch size to include the size of the starter and adjust your wort hops accordingly. :mug:

There's an articlehere that suggested adding one or two pellets per liter. Hops have anti-bacterial effects that help keep your starter sanitary.

Not so sure 1 or 2 pellets will mimick the flavor of an IPA, but I doesn't hurt in getting you there.

Back