should i "wiggle" my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
my hippy wit brew has been in primary for 10 days now, should i take a gravity reading? i plan on letting it sit for 3 weeks total before i bottle. i am really looking forward to this batch, so i don't want to risk anything just to take a reading ( i use a 6 gal bucket) . secondly, should i gently wiggle the fermenter to try and get the yeasties re-suspended? or will leaving it alone all together be the best choice.? :confused:

Leave it alone, it will be fine. Also, you could probably bottle that up after about 2 weeks instead of the full 3. Wit and wheats don't generally require as much conditioning. If you really want to take a gravity reading its not a big deal.

There shouldn't be any reason to wiggle the fermenter, unless you used a notoriously slow/flocculant yeast. Even then, it's probably not needed.

You can just leave the fermenter alone, and check the FG a day or two before bottling. Then check it again on bottling day, to make sure it's finished.

Back