Should I trim these back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I just transplanted this 3 days ago, it was a large rhizome, at least I think it was as I saw no roots, with these bull shoots that was gifted to me of some heirloom cascade hops. So for me I'm guessing this would be a first year plant since it has no established root system, and I've read differing thoughts on whether to trim the bull vines or leave them for first year plants. So I was just going to leave everything and use two twines for this plant and train three bines per piece of twine, a couple of the vines broke when my daughter was checking out the plant and they are hollow inside and hve that woody, asparagus like base. So I think I see a couple new shoots coming up so I guess should I just leave the bull shoots or trim em back, I still have to hang the twine and I will as soon as it stops raining here. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431190592.833518.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431190616.251321.jpg

I'd remove any bines with woody stems as they are likely to break at some point. Otherwise, leave the rest...

Cheers!

I guess I'm just apprehensive since I've never tried to grow hops and basically everything has a woody stem except for a few real small shoots so my nice looking plant will go down to nothing. But this is what we have to do.

I'd just let it do its thing; if more of the bines break, they break, not the end of the world, but you wanna leave as much on there as possible, to let it develop a nice, healthy root system.

Something that should help is getting them something to climb as soon as possible; they're a vine (well, OK, a bine, but same diff), they're built to climb, not be self-supporting, it's no wonder they're a little fragile when they're that long with nothing to hang onto.

I'd just let it do its thing; if more of the bines break, they break, not the end of the world, but you wanna leave as much on there as possible, to let it develop a nice, healthy root system.

Something that should help is getting them something to climb as soon as possible; they're a vine (well, OK, a bine, but same diff), they're built to climb, not be self-supporting, it's no wonder they're a little fragile when they're that long with nothing to hang onto.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm thinking of just letting em go as I'm not expecting a large harvest since their still establishing their root system. Then next year I'll have a permanent spot and I'll transplant the crowns and trim down the bull shoots. I know theirs varied opinions on this but any knowledge will help me for the future c

I'm first year growing cascade and I'm not trimming anything. Let them grow and see what happens. Next year I might trim back the first growth or I might let it go if winter is as light as this year was.

Back