Should I scrape down froth/yeast in my fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonBon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was delighted to receive a brewing kit for my birthday last weekend and started it up the very same day. The fermenting bucket has been bubbling away happily and there was some froth build up over the last couple of days. It looks as though the froth has fallen back, but I can see through the fermenting bucket that there are a few scattered patches of brown left over on the side of the bucket. I assume this is yeast that was carried up in the froth and deposited when the bubbles died down.

My question is: should I scrape that stuff back down into the ferment, or is that just kind of an expected part of the fermenting process that I shouldn't worry about?

Thanks!

Ideal, thanks for the quick reply. I suspected that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. When I initially installed the air lock, I hadn't closed it properly and there seemed to be some rather out of control bubbling as a result (the air lock lid flew off a couple of times). I was concerned that maybe leaving the bucket open to the air one or twice via the air lock hole had caused a faster than normal fermentation or something.

Since posting I have come across the word "krausen" - is that what this is?

Yep, that is indeed what it is.

Now walk away and leave it be a couple weeks. You'll be rewarded for your patience.

No, don't open it.
No, don't take measurements every few days.

Let it be.

When your beer has completed its fermentation and is ready bottle, scrape a speck of the krausen that was stuck to the fermenter and taste it. I think you will see then why you don't want to scrape it back into your fermenting beer.

The most important reason of all not to open that fermenter is oxidation - ie. exposing the wort and beer to oxygen. Brewers spend a lot of time, energy and money trying to avoid oxygen exposure after pitching the yeast (ie. sealed fermenters, CO2 pressure transfers, sealed kegs, etc..)

But the bubbles... they call to meeeeeee...!!

unlike the pros, if you're new....i'd personaly say open it as much as you want, take measurements every 30 minutes, if you want....fawn over it like your first child....spoil it rotten, and love it just the same!!

(personally i still suck at brewing but have been doing it for 16 years once a week, and still spoil each one just like it was my first....and while i'm drinking it, every batch loves me for it! :mug: (ain't no prepy brews for me))

just take a taste of it, I skim it off my brews constantly as the brown scum tastes very bitter and is best away from the brew, your active yeast will protect the brew at this stage.

You'll read this a lot, but the most important ingredient in ANY brew (and usually not listed) is PATIENCE, in great big capital letters. Especially when you're just starting out, it can drive you nuts to have to wait; but it will pay off in the long (2 weeks, about) run. Look at it this way; your yeast are eating sugar, farting co2, and peeing alcohol, as the result of having scads of happy yeast sex; most humans like privacy when they do these things. In a few days they'll slow waaaaay down and you can safely give it a test (hope you have a hydrometer). It is VERY hard to be patient (all of us here have been through it) but it will be worth it in the end, trust us.

Back