Should I repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasum

Reaction score
Had one of the Wyeast activators that never really ended up swelling up all the way. It had an ice pack on the truck but it was still hot by the time the delivery got to me in the Texas heat wave, so I think it might've been damaged.

Anyway. I pitched it in half swollen and didn't get any visible sign of fermentation until two and a half days later (today). However, at the moment I have about a half inch of krausen for Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat. I have a feeling it's going to be a very weak fermentation instead of the normal violently strong one, and I'm worried it won't finish fully.

Would it be crazy to just go ahead and pitch more in? Overpitching for this particular yeast could lose out some of the banana flavor of the yeast according to the Wyeast website

it's hard to know since we don't know how much you pitched initially but if you have a krausen and the gravity is falling then it's fermenting. if you want to pitch more yeast it's not going to hurt anything. next time make a starter and you won't have to worry as much.

I'm convinced that yeast starters, along with being easy to do, are the way to go. Especially when ordering Wyeast in the mail. As for your current question, I would let it do it's work.

I have this same thing going on at the moment with my wheat. Wyeast 3638 did not swell; pitched onto a high og wort, 1.084. Nothing for 2.5 days and then krausen and airlock activity. Three weeks later and still have krausen and activity. Took a sg last night and it was 1.018 and tasted fine. All that to say that next time I will make a starter as others have suggested. Live and learn. By the way, last night I broke my hydrometer and dropped my thief into my carboy (it is still in there). I started to get upset and my son said "dad, RDWHAHB." he was right!

Back