Should i re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
So, I brewed a porter kit and used a white labs British ale yeast. However, long story short I pitched a little high, about 79-80. The next day I had pretty good activity in the airlock. The next day which is today I have very very little activity. Question is, should I re-pitch? If I do is there any harm to the beer? Thanks guys!

never repitch this quick, especially without taking readings. take a reading and see what it is. since you pitched high, it might have already done most of the active fermentation

lumpher said:
never repitch this quick, especially without taking readings. take a reading and see what it is. since you pitched high, it might have already done most of the active fermentation

Thanks for the advice! So, it's day 2, when should I take a gravity sample? Also, if I do need to repitch will it affect the beer doing later from the initial brew day?

I usually take the first FG sample 2 or 3 days after airlock activity slows/stops. Then I take another reading 3 days later. If the 2 readings are the same, then fermentation is finished. Even if fermentation finishes in 2 or 3 days, I still leave all my brews in primary AT LEAST 2 weeks. I usually aim for 3 week primaries unless I have some other time constraint that forces me to move more quickly. When in doubt, longer fermentations are better. It is hard to be patient at first, but leaving the beer in primary for 3 weeks will ALMOST ALWAYS result in a better finished product.

Absence of airlock activity doesn't mean that it is not fermenting, besides that maybe lid is not sealing properly.
Don't do anything without gravity reading.

Also, if I do need to repitch will it affect the beer doing later from the initial brew day?

I don't think it would make huge difference if added yeast will ferment all available sugars.
If you need to repitch, watch for temperature and if you can add it few degrees colder and warm it up in next 12-36 hours to reduce unwanted flavors created at the beginning of fermentation.

So my OG was 1044 and about 4 days later I took a sample and was at 1019. I believe this should come in a 1010-1012 so hopefully if I give it more time I can hit goal. Still nervous though since this was the first time I have seen so little airlock activity.

Sounds like everything is on track. Now, take a deep breath and find something else to do for a couple weeks. You'll be fine, the beer will be fine, and in a couple weeks you can check again and aim at bottling.

Cheers!

Back