Should I re-pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longlivepunk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

sorry if this has been covered already, I tried doing a search but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I brewed a beer a while back (like, QUITE a while back) and racked it to a carboy after a couple of weeks in the primary. Then suddenly life happened, and it's been sitting in the carboy ever since. I know that there is a chance of off-flavours, and that's fine (that's my own stupid fault) but my question is do I need to re-pitch yeast in order to have my beer carbonate? Is there a way I could test it to see? Here are the details:

Beer: Paddock Wood - Spitfire English Ale
Yeast: Wyeast 1318
It was brewed on July 17, it's been in the carboy since July 23, the airlock was still quite active for a while after going into the carboy. Here's a shot of the beer just for fun:

69P4UfG.jpg

My rule of thumb is the I only re-yeast if the beer is over 6 months, or 10% abv. I think you are good just bottling. It will be slow to carbonate and may take a couple of months. Add some champagne yeast at bottling (half a pack) if you want it to carbonate quicker.

I know that there is a chance of off-flavours

The fact that you let it sit for so long would be an indicator that you're much less likely to have off flavors, in my opinion, but who knows. Usually when a beer tastes "off", everyone's first suggestion is to let it sit longer, and that's all you've done.
Only possible problem would be that your hop character is going to be subdued at this point. Lots of people age beers for six months or longer.

Last edited:
According to the BrewUnited calculator the yeast still has 30% viability. Rack a little bit of the yeast at the bottom of the carboy into the bottling bucket if you are worried there will be insufficient yeast in suspension to work on the priming sugar. Yeast stores well under beer.

I bet that beer will taste great! I would take kind of an "is what it is" attitude at this point. You know, RDWHAHB. Bottle condition as you normally would. Like flars said, if you're concerned about yeast, grab a little extra from your carboy.

Awesome, thanks for the input guys! I'll try to find some time to bottle it this weekend. Cheers!

Back