Should I pitch starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomXsaloon

Reaction score
Made a 2L starter of WLP090 on stir plate yesterday morning. Yeast had best by date of Aug. 14.
Didn't really see any activity throughout, but ok, that's common. This morning, still nothing. No foam on too. No yeast settled at bottom. Just cloudy.
I took a reading: 1.030-1.035; started at 1.040.
Tasted and smelled like butterscotch. Ugh. Not looking good. Do I proceed with brewday?

Update: it's been in fridge for hours and no yeast cake on bottom. FG stayed at 1.035. Don't know what went wrong--yeast too old and 2L too big of a starter??

Update: it's been in fridge for hours and no yeast cake on bottom. FG stayed at 1.035. Don't know what went wrong--yeast too old and 2L too big of a starter??

No, that's an ok size. It's just not realistic to take old yeast and make a starter and expect it to ferment out in 24 hours. It just needed some more time. I'd take it out, put it back on the stir plate and give it some time.

Latest posts

Back