Should I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I brewed my first batch, a Nut Brown Ale from Brew Organic, last night. Oddly they included 2 yeasts in the kit, a liquid White Labs English Ale Yeast and a packet of Safale S-05 Ale Yeast as well. I wasn't sure what to do with both packages of yeast, so I only pitched the White Labs (their website recommended that as the yeast to use with the nut brown recipe). Regrettably I didn't create a starter for the White Labs, I just let it get to room temperature while I was boiling the wort and pitched it straight in. Now I'm second guessing myself and am trying to figure out if I should add the Safale to the fermenter as well. Thoughts? If so, should I create a starter for it?

Another thing that struck me as odd was that I never saw the hot break during the boil. In fact the boil never foamed up much at all after I added the hops. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Don't mix different types of yeast together. I hope you didn't pitch the yeast into boiling wort.

Don't mix different types of yeast together. I hope you didn't pitch the yeast into boiling wort.

Heh, no, no, no. I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now and feel like I got the first brew done pretty well with the exception of not having a starter for the yeast. I was just confused by the fact they sent me two different yeasts. I guess they were giving me an option.

I chilled the wort down to 68 degrees before funneling it to the carboy and pitching the yeast. :)

I don't think it would be so bad to mix the yeasts. Lots of beers are made with a blend of yeasts.

The liquid will be OK without the starter. Idealy you would have made a starter but it's not the end of the world.

However, if you pitched the yeast into the hot wort it's dead and you should add more yeast to the cooled wort ASAP

If you just pitched last night, don't worry yet. Give it 72 hours at least. Without the starter, it's just taking a bit longer to get enough yeast to go into fermentation mode.

If you just pitched last night, don't worry yet. Give it 72 hours at least. Without the starter, it's just taking a bit longer to get enough yeast to go into fermentation mode.

Yes! Since you didn't make a starter there will be a longer lag time then if you had, because first they have to wake up, then they have to have and orgy to reproduce enough yeast tackle the job...so they have other priorities right now than fermenting your beer. They are getting it on right now.

72 hours before visible signs of fermentation (airlock bubbling) or noticeable drops in SG? 3 days is a long time to wait! I'm already internally freaking out over no signs of fermentation only 16 hours later ... :cross:

72 hours before visible signs of fermentation (airlock bubbling) or noticeable drops in SG? 3 days is a long time to wait! I'm already internally freaking out over no signs of fermentation only 16 hours later ... :cross:

It says throught the 72 hour thread that AIRLOCK BUBBLING is NOT the visible sign they mean. They mean a drop in gravity or a visible krausen (or remains of one) in the fermenter bucket or carboy....

It says throught the 72 hour thread that AIRLOCK BUBBLING is NOT the visible sign they mean. They mean a drop in gravity or a visible krausen (or remains of one) in the fermenter bucket or carboy....

Yeah, I've seen that the airlock is a poor indicator, I just wish it would start clanging away so I can go to sleep listening to it ...

I suspect two types of yeast was just an accident. Put the S-05 in your fridge, it's good for a couple years.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I decided to wait and see how it went with the White Labs before messing with anything. Sure enough abouth 14 hrs after the boil I had bubbles-o-plenty leaving the blow off and by the next morning I had a nice 2" layer of krausen across the top. The krausen has started to settle already. I'm planning to leave it in primary for a total of 10 days before racking to the seconday for another 10 and then bottling. Does that sound about right (hydro checks to come, of course).

Back