Should I pitch another packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout yesterday with an OG of 1.051, I pitched a packet of the danstar British ale dry yeast but the wort was a little warmer than I had planned (78-80) when I added it so I put the beer down in my basement to cool it down but then forgot about it and it stayed overnight and while I was at work today so it got down to 62-64. There is a little krausen that's built but nothing like what I've come to expect after 24 hours. I've moved it back upstairs to be a bit warmer and have another packet of dry yeast that I have ready to pitch if need be. The yeast is not the same however, the additional packet is safale us-05. Any issue with adding the other packet since it's a different strain?

If the OG * volume was still within the capability of the original pitch, just let it ride.
Eventually the yeast will get over the abuse and get to work...

Cheers!

I guess my concern was it taking too long to really get going and producing off flavors which is why I was considering tossing in another packet to get it rolling

I guess my concern was it taking too long to really get going and producing off flavors which is why I was considering tossing in another packet to get it rolling

You won't get off-flavors from a slow and steady fermentation. It's the too warm fermentations that can get explosive and produce off flavors.

The recommended fermentation temperature for that yeast strain is 64° to 70°F, so I'd put it back in the basement.

you won't get off-flavors from a slow and steady fermentation. It's the too warm fermentations that can get explosive and produce off flavors.

The recommended fermentation temperature for that yeast strain is 64° to 70°f, so i'd put it back in the basement.

+1

The recommended fermentation temperature for that yeast strain is 64° to 70°F, so I'd put it back in the basement.

+1. No need for two packs. There's plenty of yeast in one. That's one of the beauties of dry yeast.

You won't get off-flavors from a slow and steady fermentation. It's the too warm fermentations that can get explosive and produce off flavors.

Yooper, a bit off topic but I hear great things about an oatmeal stout recipe you created. I'm not quite ready for all grain but was wondering if there's an extract version? Would like to make that with my next batch.

So, it's now going on 4 days since brewing and I'm not seeing any fermentation occurring, what should I be doing at this point?

So I gave it a light stir.... Hopefully that won't oxidize it too much and will help getting going again

Yooper, a bit off topic but I hear great things about an oatmeal stout recipe you created. I'm not quite ready for all grain but was wondering if there's an extract version? Would like to make that with my next batch.

I think there is a partial mash recipe in that thread. It can't be just extract, since oats have to be mashed, and there are some grains in there to steep as well so I think it's a minimum of about 4 pounds of grain that need to be used. It's a good recipe, if I do say so myself!

So I gave it a light stir.... Hopefully that won't oxidize it too much and will help getting going again

If it's 1.030, it's been going and you don't want to stir.

Lactose (milk sugar) adds about 9 gravity points per pound in a 5 gallon batch, so that would mean without it the beer would be 1.021- not unusual at all.

It's a good recipe, if I do say so myself!

I'll say it for her - it's a great recipe. Classic oatmeal stout.

Reggie, you mentioned using Danstar British yeast. I don't think they make something with that name so I assume you are using either Nottingham or Windsor. If you used Windsor, you may not get much more out of it. Windsor is known for finishing high. They call it "moderate" attenuation but I find it to be low attenuating. That yeast plus the lactose will finish high.

Also, I'm assuming you are using a hydrometer and not a refractometer for your gravity. Correct?

Yes, I have a refractometer but it's calibrated for my salt water tank (to many hobbies lol) so I've taken my readings with a hydrometer

I think there is a partial mash recipe in that thread. It can't be just extract, since oats have to be mashed, and there are some grains in there to steep as well so I think it's a minimum of about 4 pounds of grain that need to be used. It's a good recipe, if I do say so myself!

If it's 1.030, it's been going and you don't want to stir.

Lactose (milk sugar) adds about 9 gravity points per pound in a 5 gallon batch, so that would mean without it the beer would be 1.021- not unusual at all.

So, does that mean that my ABV is actually 3.93 instead of 2.75?

So concerned at this point about what I should do with this beer. I went ahead and pitched another yeast packet on Sunday, it's now Tuesday morning and my gravity reading is still sitting at 1.030. The beer can't be done, but I don't really know how to jump start fermentation again. Any suggestions?

A lot of people complain about the "1.020 curse" on extract brewing. Now, given you used a strain that finishes usually with a higher gravity AND you added lactose, which is not fermentable, it's quite possible, especially given you have now added a 2nd packet of yeast that the beer is going to be as low as it's going to go. However, given the lactose, the beer is "kind of" at 1.020, as the lactose adds the difference you're experiencing. 1.020 for that strain is not unusual. To find your ABV, take your OG-1.030 and multiply that difference by 131.5. There was a beer I freaked out on finishing high too and I added champagne yeast. Yes, it lowered the beer's FG and gave me more ABV, but I actually like the flavor of the beer more before adding the champagne yeast. I'd let it sit one more week and accept what the beer is. It will probably taste fine and I'd rather have good tasting low ABV than too dry higher ABV I have to force down.

I would move it somewhere warmer for the next few days since you said its 64 in your basement. Even if you have a brew belt therow that around it and you should see a drop in a couple days.

Unfortunately beer is all about patience and we seem to forget that sometimes.

Back