Should I pinch new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfp03001

Reaction score
I made the Lefse Blond kit from NB (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...rain-ale-kits/lefse-blonde-all-grain-kit.html) a few weeks ago.

After being in the primer for 9 days and secondary for 12 days I bottled with corn sugar dissolved in water however it has not carbonated at all yet. Its been about two weeks which I know is not that long but I have been keeping in the kitchen were it is warm and it does not show any signs of being carbonated. I am not sure if I shoudl wait longer or if I should try pinching new yeast.

I have a few packages of muntons yeast (they are a little old) I am not sure if it would be ok to use them or it I need to get the same yeast (WYEAST #1762 BELGIAN ABBEY II.) again. I don't want to ruin the flavor. My ABV I calculated to be 5.2%

While waiting for Revvy to chime in, let me say that 2 weeks is possibly not long enough. usual minimum is 3. However, having NO signs of carbonation is not a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with PITCHING new yeast if you want to, and as long as you maintain proper sanitation during the process. Muntons would be ok for that beer, if it's just used for priming.

If it were me, I'd let it go for a while longer, maybe up to 2 months, before pitching another yeast. I actually have a Golden Strong that will be getting that treatment when I get a chance.

One thing that can cause undercarbed beer is not mixing the priming sugar well enough during the bottling phase. Some bottles might get way too much sugar, while others might get way too little

Well I was planing on letting it age longer I was just hopping it would be carbonated when its done aging though. I did open only one bottle though I would say the sugar was mixed in very well.

I guess saying no signs of carbonation might have been a little strong there were bubbles coming up I assumed those where from residual CO2 from fermentation. There were less than bubbles I would have expected, I did try to carbonate it to a higher level and there was no head to speak of.

Its been about two weeks which I know is not that long but I have been keeping in the kitchen were it is warm and it does not show any signs of being carbonated.

You already know the answer........;)

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

The only thing you need to add right now, is patience....it will be ready when it's ready. You're not even at the MINIMUM time to be concerned.

It will carb, just wait a few more weeks. How would you even pitch more yeast? Open every bottle and put a few bits in? Pour them all back into a bucket?

There is no way all your yeast are dead after a 21 day fermentation. There are billions of yeast in each bottle. Not having enough sugar might be an issue, but adding more yeast would do nothing for that. Did you put in 3/4 cup of corn sugar? It will be fine given time.

Alright alright I guess I did know I should just wait longer. :)

While I have this tread going. I have another beer that has been aging/carbonating since the end of March. Its a strawberry lemon (all fruit no extract) wheat creation of my own. Its a modified version that I made last summer. Anyway I am letting it age so long because when I made it last summer the last few bottles definitively tasted the best. So I figured I might as well let them all age. I am planning on given like half of them to my girlfriend for her birthday in July since last year she told me they were the best beer she ever had. :)

Anyway I have snuck a couple out (including right now) and they are carbonated but don't really have any head retention. Does anyone know if the fruit kills the head? I know it had better head last year. But like I said i modified it different hops, more fruit and went from PM to AG.

Back