Should I harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllobeddo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked a Milk Stout into a keg yesterday, but I didn't have time to mess with the yeast cake. I put the air lock back on and sealed it up. I never got around to adding water and harvesting it. Will it be OK to pour some pre boiled water in it and harvest it today and then pitch it tomorrow? Basically, the yeast cake will have sat out with very little liquid on it for about 24 hours. Wyeast 1335 British Ale Yeast II. Thanks!

When going with batches that close together I'll usually try to keg and brew on the same day. Since racking to a keg can be done easily while the wort is chilling, I do so. Then usually drain out some of the cake to prevent a massive overpitch. As soon as it's cool it gets racked right into that fermenter. Or I put both into a "fresh" fermenter if the mood strikes. Doesn't add any time to my brew day and reduces the time that the yeast is exposed.

That said I have gone a day or 2 before harvesting / washing / direct pitching without disaster as of yet.

When going with batches that close together I'll usually try to keg and brew on the same day. Since racking to a keg can be done easily while the wort is chilling, I do so. Then usually drain out some of the cake to prevent a massive overpitch. As soon as it's cool it gets racked right into that fermenter. Or I put both into a "fresh" fermenter if the mood strikes. Doesn't add any time to my brew day and reduces the time that the yeast is exposed.

That said I have gone a day or 2 before harvesting / washing / direct pitching without disaster as of yet.

Will about 1/2 the yeast cake be an overpitch or about right? Both are 2.5 gallon batches, whether or not that even matters....

I pitched Monday around 6pm after oxygenating for 45 seconds. It had taken off by noon Tuesday with krausen forming and bubbling in the air lock. I expected less lag time, but it's bubbling so it should be good.

My mash efficiency was a stinking 65%. It's usually 79 to 81%. The problem may have been the several month old pre-crushed grains. 8 oz of crystal 60L and 6 oz of chocolate malt were pre crushed.

Back