Should i go to secondry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after 5 days my first brew a pale ale has finished fermenting no Krausen on top, took a reading today and im on point with the recommended.

My question now is after taking my next reading, should i go to secondry or just leave in primary.

What are the advantages / disadvantages.

Wait until Sunday morning and take another reading. If it is the same you can go ahead and bottle the beer. Or give it another few days to allow the yeast to totally finish. There are differing opinions on how long it takes, and how much yeast will clean up off flavors after reaching final gravity.

The advantage to a secondary is the possibility that the beer might get a little more clear.
The dis-advantages are the risk of contamination or oxidation for this small amount of clearing. IMO it is not worth the effort in most cases.

Give it three weeks in the primary. Move to a secondary if you are not comfortable working off the yeast at the bottom.

If I can just say, 5 days is way to soon to be messing with your beer. Just because the bubbling has stopped doesn't mean your yeast isn't still working.

Give it three weeks in the primary. Move to a secondary if you are not comfortable working off the yeast at the bottom.

If I can just say, 5 days is way to soon to be messing with your beer. Just because the bubbling has stopped doesn't mean your yeast isn't still working.

No reason to go three weeks. If the beer is done, it's done. Take anither gravity reading and if it's stable, that means it's done.

More time in the fermenter won't hurt it by any means, but you don't have to wait for the sake of waiting.

On that note, airlock activity won't always tell you when it's done, but you did the right thing in taking a gravity reading.

And dont go to a secondary. Some say it can help clear your beer up, but if anything your just risking infection and oxidization, as someone already mentioned. Wait a day, check the gravity an then bottle it up whenever you have the time.

Stable FG = bottle. You are already going to have to move it to a bottling bucket to add priming sugar, don't move it twice, especially a hop forward beer....hops don't like air (oxygen).

No reason to go three weeks. If the beer is done, it's done. Take anither gravity reading and if it's stable, that means it's done.

More time in the fermenter won't hurt it by any means, but you don't have to wait for the sake of waiting.

On that note, airlock activity won't always tell you when it's done, but you did the right thing in taking a gravity reading.

And dont go to a secondary. Some say it can help clear your beer up, but if anything your just risking infection and oxidization, as someone already mentioned. Wait a day, check the gravity an then bottle it up whenever you have the time.

Yes there is a reason to leave your beer for 3 weeks (or more). When the activity settles down there is a huge amount of yeast suspended in the beer. Letting it set longer allows a lot more of the yeast to settle out so it doesn't end up in your bottles. Beer also needs a bit of time to mature. That time can take place in the bottles but it also can start right in the fermenter.

Yes there is a reason to leave your beer for 3 weeks (or more). When the activity settles down there is a huge amount of yeast suspended in the beer. Letting it set longer allows a lot more of the yeast to settle out so it doesn't end up in your bottles. Beer also needs a bit of time to mature. That time can take place in the bottles but it also can start right in the fermenter.

This^. Yeast continue to suspend until all yeast activity ends and gravity has its effect. As stated, this can be done in the fermenter or in the bottle --- gravity doesn't care where it happens. The main thing is at bottling to be sure ferm (FG) is done. Priming sugar creates another mini-ferm in the bottle and yeast will re-suspend to a small degree, but not like an active primary ferm. For that reason, bottle-conditioning for a couple weeks will help re-settle yeast to the bottom. Some beers are designed to have yeast suspend in the bottle --- like a hefe or wit --- which compliments the flavor.

I disagree that you need 3+ weeks for a "standard" beer. I bottle mine on day 14 usually, which is over a week after active fermentation is done.

I don't cold crash and I bottle my beers. I don't get excessive amounts of yeast or sediment in my bottles either.

I think it's good to tell people not to rush their beers, but telling people to blindly wait 3+ weeks isn't any better.

It depends on the beer and a few other factors, but anything with an OG under 1.060 should be done fermenting in under 7 days. Give it a few more to clean up and then bottle it up.

And if your really not sure, dry letting it sit for 3-4 weeks, then try another where you wait 10 days and see what the difference is. I used to ways wait 3+ weeks, now I don't. Results are petty much the same. Any excessive yeast in my bottles is from when I suck up too much when going to the bottling bucket, not from what is left in suspension.

Back