Should I expect a stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjack

Reaction score
I just brewed a wit that has me a little concerned. I used 8# wheat LME and 1# sucrose for the main fermentables. OG of 1.084. I pitched Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit at 65F. I think this is a pretty tolerant yeast but will it tolerate the 9% ABV I'm anticipating?

As long as you mashed at a good temperature (not too high) and oxygenated well, I don't see why not. According to Wyeast that yeast can tolerate up to appx. 11% ABV

EDIT: If you want it a higher alcohol and like funky flavors, you can always add some brett later to chew the rest of the dextrines and larger sugar molecules. :D

Once you're a day or two into fermentation I'd bump the temp up a few degrees. The flavor profile is mostly set at that point and the warmer temps can encourage a more complete fermentation and higher attenuation.

Once you're a day or two into fermentation I'd bump the temp up a few degrees. The flavor profile is mostly set at that point and the warmer temps can encourage a more complete fermentation and higher attenuation.

I agree that the yeast flavor profile is set within the first three days or so.

I think it's good practice to bump the temp by a degree as primary is tapering off regardless of the OG.

your beer will be fine.

Thanks for the advice. How would you recommend I bump the temperature without special equipment? I can wrap it with a towel or blanket but I'm not sure what else I could do to keep it at a steady (73?)

What is the current temperature of the beer in the fermentor? Has this temperature been steady?

I would hold the temperature steady if the temperature of the fermenting beer is in the 64°F to 68°F range and varying less than two degrees. Just my opinion that the yeast will continue a steady fermentation to final gravity if the fermentation remains steady.

Did you make a starter for an appropriate pitch rate?

What is the current temperature of the beer in the fermentor? Has this temperature been steady?

I would hold the temperature steady if the temperature of the fermenting beer is in the 64°F to 68°F range and varying less than two degrees. Just my opinion that the yeast will continue a steady fermentation to final gravity if the fermentation remains steady.

Did you make a starter for an appropriate pitch rate?

Current temp is about 68 and it stays around there. I didn't make a starter but I feel good about how aggressive the fermentation is so far. Even with fermcap it has some pretty high krausen as you can see in the photo

20170216_183402.jpg

Thanks for the advice. How would you recommend I bump the temperature without special equipment? I can wrap it with a towel or blanket but I'm not sure what else I could do to keep it at a steady (73?)

To help me maintain a temperature that's warmer than the room, I set my carboy in a large bucket of water and put a fishtank heater in it that allows me to set the temp on top. I use this one. That is until I build my fermentation chamber. :D

Some folks have put a lightbulb in a coffee can. I use a small electric heater I bought off amazon. Any heat source will do, doesn't need to be the $300 dollar Blichmann special.

A free solution might be even as simple as moving it closer to a heat vent or warmer room.

Update:
Well, this beer had the exact opposite result I was expecting. After 17 days in primary it dropped from 1.084 to 1.006. Is this FG too low? It tastes good and packs a decent kick, I just want to make sure it will taste ok after conditioning.

It should be fine. The only thing that I would worry about with a fg of 1.006 is a thin mouthfeel. But if you like it, that's great! I used to mash around 143 (to get the highest % abv) and the thin mouthfeel of the beer never bothered me. The conditioning should help round out the flavors and soften the "edges". Cheers!

Just looked at the first post.. The wheat LME should have enough protein to help with the mouthfeel.

Careful with that beer though.. 10% is one heck of a kick :D

It should be fine. The only thing that I would worry about with a fg of 1.006 is a thin mouthfeel. But if you like it, that's great! I used to mash around 143 (to get the highest % abv) and the thin mouthfeel of the beer never bothered me. The conditioning should help round out the flavors and soften the "edges". Cheers!

Just looked at the first post.. The wheat LME should have enough protein to help with the mouthfeel.

Careful with that beer though.. 10% is one heck of a kick :D

You ain't kiddin! One little shotglass taster gave me a little euphoric head feel. I think it will turn out just fine.

Back