Should I dry hop my failed janets brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I attempted Janet's brown ale two weeks ago this Sunday. It was my first time doing partial mash on my stove top and my efficiency was terrible. I mashed about 9 pounds of grain in three gallons and didn't sparge with a gallon to get my volume back up. Instead i just added a gallon after I let the bag drip dry. Next time I will sparge.

I ended up with an OG 1.044, but it has fermented down to 1.005, so an abv of 5.11. Should I dry hop this still, or just bottle it and save the two ounces of centennial for something else? I also have an extra ounce of cascade since the lhbs has 9%aa instead of 6%.

Eh if you don't mind the cost of the hops pitch em in there. Our if the cascades are open wouldn't hurt to use them either..

Doesn't sound like a failure at this point, just a slightly stunted beer. It's so good that I'd continue on and enjoy it. Does it taste good prior to the DH? That is the test.

Doesn't sound like a failure at this point, just a slightly stunted beer. It's so good that I'd continue on and enjoy it. Does it taste good prior to the DH? That is the test.

Yeah it had a great flavor, armona and bitternesss. I'm just wondering if the dry hop would be too much since it doesn't have the 6.7abv as expected. I leave for vacation tomorrow morning, so I should either dry hop before I go, or not at all. The pipeline is getting low.

Yeah, I just did a Janet's Brown Ale too. I came out a bit low because I spilled 3/4 gallon of second runnings. I had some other issues with the hop schedule too so it was a less than perfect brew. I had to come to the same question about whether to dump 2 oz of centennial in for the dry hop. I went ahead and went with it. Bottled last Sunday but the samples tasted great! Dry hop will add a lot more hop aroma which can only improve the beer. So go for it! Hops away...

BTW, AAs don't matter at all for dry hop.

Back