Should I Dry hop in Keg and Leave it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
So I have an IPA that I dry hopped with 1oz of Centennial 5 days ago and I'm stuck for what I should do next.

I just got a fancy new dry hop keg filter and I so desperately want to use it. I have an Oz of Chinook laying around I was thinking of dry hopping with that after I keg.

Would it be OK to leave the Hop Filter in the keg or should I remove it after a certain amount of time. The keg will probably only last me 3 weeks maybe 4 at the most.

Anything after 2-3 weeks will start having detrimental effects on your beer and the oils do not extract very well cold.
You have to be careful dry hopping carbonated beer, as soon as you add them it will foam up so you have to be quick with the lid.

I would fill the keg, leave at room temp,add dry hops, remove dry hops after 3-4 days, cool, carbonate, serve.

Yes, I leave my keg dryhop charge in the keg for the full life of the keg.

When you dry hop, the extraction happens faster at room temperature and much slower at fridge temps. I just keep the keg in the kegerator until it's gone and I've had no issues with off flavors at all from that.

Back