Should I cut off shoots before planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
This afternoon I got a CTZ rhizome in the mail and it was covered in shoots some of which were about 6" long with leaves on them.
I planted it the way it was, and now I'm wondering if I should have cut off all of the shoots first.
Is it going to hurt my rhizome or does it matter at all?

How's the weather been out there?
Here in NJ my shoots are just breaking ground on my 3 cascades. I have 4 crowns in the fridge that I'm going to wait a few more weeks to plant.
However, I have seen post on here from people in the Oregon and Washington region that already have shoots two or 3 feet tall.

It's amazing aside from extreme drought lol!
The highs are in the mid 80's right now, and all of the other rhizomes I planted a week ago already have small shoots.
It's definitely time for them to start growing, I'm just not sure if burying a rhizome with shoots covered in leaves is good or not, to be clearer, I didn't leave the shoots sticking out of the ground, I buried those too.

I would go ahead and get it in the ground then. Shoots sticking out of the ground will be fine.

Latest posts

Back