Should I buy a used kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolmug

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if I should buy a used kit online...the pics look good and it's half the price (here in Canada the prices for new kits really suck). I realize I will probably get a lot of "why in the world would you buy a used kit" responses from expert home brewers, but I sold a kit before and it was in great condition and clean, so I think I would have some good judgement...

Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks

I would want to take a good look at everything before money changed hands. Any plastic that is scratched, I would toss out. By kit, I assume you mean carboys, buckets, siphon, capper, etc?

Depends a lot what the kit contains and if you can see it in person before paying.

Carboys that are clean and not chipped/cracked, sure.
Plastic buckets? why bother they aren't expensive to start with.
Steel kettles etc, sure if they look ok.

I would want to take a good look at everything before money changed hands. Any plastic that is scratched, I would toss out. By kit, I assume you mean carboys, buckets, siphon, capper, etc?

Yeah I would want to make sure the plastic wasn't scratched...that would be a deal breaker unfortunately. I believe it's a beginner kit. Here's what's included:

• 30 L (7 Gal) Fermentation bucket
• 23 L (6 Gal) Glass carboy
• Siphon Hose
• Racking Tube
• Hose Clamp
• Carboy Brush
• Sampler
• Bottle Filler
• Fermentation Airlock
• Rubber Bung
• Floating Thermometer
• Sanitizing solution

Depends a lot what the kit contains and if you can see it in person before paying.

Carboys that are clean and not chipped/cracked, sure.
Plastic buckets? why bother they aren't expensive to start with.
Steel kettles etc, sure if they look ok.

Yeah it's a beginner kit...no kettles. I guess I'll just have to see it in person.

Looks good. I would go for it. Take apart everything that can come apart and make sure it's clean, good oxyclean soak should take care of anything that's not scratched.

Just FYI, those floating thermos are just about worthless (the 3 or 4 that I've had over my brewing lifetime have been anyway)

Cheers!

Looks good. I would go for it. Take apart everything that can come apart and make sure it's clean, good oxyclean soak should take care of anything that's not scratched.

Just FYI, those floating thermos are just about worthless (the 3 or 4 that I've had over my brewing lifetime have been anyway)

Cheers!

Good to know. Didn't know that about thermos...I got an extra one though so that's good. Thanks for the advice :mug:

Here is all you need, so you could save money by avoiding what you dont
• Fermentation bucket (I have the 30L brewcraft bucket, it is good since it has marks for volume
• Siphon Hose
• Racking Tube or a bottling bucket.
• Sampler- a winewitch is good or a turkeybaster and something to float your hydrometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermentation Airlock- get 2 or 3.. they are cheap
• Rubber Bung- same
• side sticking thermometer.
• Sanitizing solution-

You can live without the carboy and they are probably the most expensive thing on the list. I suspect you can be up and brewing under $100.. Couple batches of beer and you will be the black versus buying similar beer in the store

Here is all you need, so you could save money by avoiding what you dont
• Fermentation bucket (I have the 30L brewcraft bucket, it is good since it has marks for volume
• Siphon Hose
• Racking Tube or a bottling bucket.
• Sampler- a winewitch is good or a turkeybaster and something to float your hydrometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermentation Airlock- get 2 or 3.. they are cheap
• Rubber Bung- same
• side sticking thermometer.
• Sanitizing solution-

You can live without the carboy and they are probably the most expensive thing on the list. I suspect you can be up and brewing under $100.. Couple batches of beer and you will be the black versus buying similar beer in the store

Good to know. Thanks

For $40-$50, assuming most items are in good condition, it's probably worth it. If it costs more than that, I'd skip it.

If the gear is well used and/or abused, you'll easily reach the cost of a new kit replacing the worn out items.

I forgot to add a bottle capper. I priced it out on my LHBS website, all under $75. Of course you will want to get a grain bag, a decent pot and burner but do a few brews first and then start getting the more expensive stuff if you like it.

Yeah I would want to make sure the plastic wasn't scratched...that would be a deal breaker unfortunately. I believe it's a beginner kit. Here's what's included:

• 30 L (7 Gal) Fermentation bucket
• 23 L (6 Gal) Glass carboy
• Siphon Hose
• Racking Tube
• Hose Clamp
• Carboy Brush
• Sampler
• Bottle Filler
• Fermentation Airlock
• Rubber Bung
• Floating Thermometer
• Sanitizing solution

You are buying a glass carboy, bottle filler and maybe a bucket.

Do you want a glass carboy? I like them, but some people will not use them because they are heavy to handle, and can be very dangerous if they break,

Siphon hose you will replace.

What is a sampler?

You will not use the floating thermometer.

What and how much sanitizing solution?

Racking Tube, Hose Clamp, Carboy Brush, Bottle Filler, Fermentation Airlock, and Rubber Bung are all useful, but inexpensive.

Lots of comments on her, take note of them and make your decision.

Back