Should I be using a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snodawg

Reaction score
The geographic center of Washington State
High all, I am new here and been brewing for about a year. This may be a total noob question but do I really need to be making a starter. I make many different beers so I use different yeast. I do use Wyeast liquid yeast and the package says I can use direct but everything I read says that I need to build a starter. What kind of change would I get if I used a starter? My fermentation starts within ten hours and I do my primary for six to seven days in the mid sixty degree range. If it matters I make heavy , dark beers, now just finishing a weizenbock at about 8 to 9 percent.

The only reason to use a starter is to get more yeast and make sure you have good yeast...

It's unheard of to get bad yeast when using liquid, so really it's more about increasing your yeast cell count. Some of my high gravity beers, I rather buy one pack of yeast and do a starter instead of buying 2 or 3 yeast packets which can get a bit expensive...

Yes.

Your beer will taste better, be cleaner, and be better attenuated. All worth the $2 in DME and 15 mins it takes to make it.

Also, on a 8-9% beer leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks. Dont do a secondary, just leave it on the yeast. Do a search for "secondary" and read the debates, but I dont secondary any more....

So the yeast and leftovers from the cold break will not give off flavors after two or three weeks. I usually do one week primary and three weeks secondary to settle out last of yeast. I am always willing to take advice, as I live very remote and have no other input on my beer since I am the only one drinking it. The deer and birds don't seem to want to try any.

So the yeast and leftovers from the cold break will not give off flavors after two or three weeks. I usually do one week primary and three weeks secondary to settle out last of yeast.

Actually, quite the contrary. Once the yeast are done making alcohol, they will spend the next week or so re-absorbing a lot of the chemical by-products of fermentation. They will go back and eat up all the off flavors and your beer will actually come out cleaner tasting, and clearer.

At the end of three weeks in primary cold crash the entire carboy for a few days, then syphon the clear beer off the yeast cake, being careful not to disturb the cake.

Thank you for the info, I will give it a try. My only concern is that I also have about one and a half to two inches of what I presume is settled protein from the cold break. I triple filtered but ended up with large flakes settled at the end of primary. Again in my reading I have heard that the beer should not sit on it for too long. All input is helpful so thank you again.

All the "trub gives off flavors" stuff seems to be blah blah nowadays. My advice is to just try it. The proof is in the pudding. I tried it once and haven't looked back since.

Actually, quite the contrary. Once the yeast are done making alcohol, they will spend the next week or so re-absorbing a lot of the chemical by-products of fermentation. They will go back and eat up all the off flavors and your beer will actually come out cleaner tasting, and clearer.
+1

I'm still a relative noob (only a dozen batches under my belt) but I always leave my beers in the primary for 2-3 weeks. I really only do secondary if I'm dry hopping, and that's just a matter of personal preference as I like to add hops to a freshly racked carboy. I've loved the results of 2-3 weeks in primary and no secondary.

Oh, and back to the original question: I didn't do starters for the first 8 or so batches I made, and it worked okay ... but I did my first starter on a high-OG IPA and it worked so well that I swear by them now. Even on smaller beers, I make a simple 1-liter starter.

Bottom line: you don't "need" to make one, but it won't hurt and you will be pleased with the results.

Thank you for the info, I will give it a try. My only concern is that I also have about one and a half to two inches of what I presume is settled protein from the cold break. I triple filtered but ended up with large flakes settled at the end of primary. Again in my reading I have heard that the beer should not sit on it for too long. All input is helpful so thank you again.

You could probably cut the "triple filtering" out of your process and not notice a big difference. Any solid matter that makes it into the fermentor, big or small, will eventually settle out and will for sure settle out when you cold crash.

Back