should i be straining wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegelow04

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and have brewed 5 batches so far. I'm doing extract with steeping grains and full volume boils. I have found that after cooling the wort and transferring to the carboy there is a lot of sediment in my kettle. I have been using a strainer to filter it out. Is this necessary or should i use a false bottom, or nothing at all. my kettle is a 8 gallon with a drain spout. any advice would be great.

Thanks.

What you are doing is fine provided that you have sanitized the strainer. Also straining your wort not only removes trub and other particles, but also introduces oxygen into the wort. This is a plus and will help the yeast get an active start.

I brew in a keggle and the drain line leaves about a quart or less trub in the pot everthing else goes for a ride into the fermenter. Less hassle and it settles out during fermentation. But I could see reasons it would be good to strain, running through a plate chiller or CFC maybe, or if you plan to harvest the yeast and just want less trub to making the washing simpler. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

I brew in a keggle and the drain line leaves about a quart or less trub in the pot everthing else goes for a ride into the fermenter. Less hassle and it settles out during fermentation. But I could see reasons it would be good to strain, running through a plate chiller or CFC maybe, or if you plan to harvest the yeast and just want less trub to making the washing simpler. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

I do the same thing as Dan! It all goes in the ferementer!

I strain every time. Just sanitize properly and you should be fine.

Back