should i be concerned? is my batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
im doing a porter from a kit. did the process. got it in my fermenting bucket, it started to bubble after about 16 hours and only bubbled for about a day or so. its been 2 weeks, did a gravity read and read 1.061.

my question is, should it have stopped bubbling after just a day? is it still ok? keeping it in the bucket long, will it drop the FG? should i place in secondary?

help please. sorry im a n00b at this.

1.061 is definitely high, especially after two weeks. You'll see quite a few posts on here about bubbling not being an accurate indicator of fermentation, so don't get too hung up on whether or not you're seeing activity in the airlock. There usually isn't a need to use a secondary. A couple questions:

1. What was your starting gravity?
2. What was your fermentation temp?
3. What temp did you pitch at?
4. What yeast did you use?

oops i meant 1.016

1. 1.051
2. 70*
3. 70*
4. lalleman Nottingham

It's likely done, a lot of extracts are 75% or less fermentable to keep some body, notty would work fast that hot.

That sounds about right for a Porter . I'd leave it another week in fermenter and then bottle.

oops i meant 1.016

1. 1.051
2. 70*
3. 70*
4. lalleman Nottingham

LOL, yeah that's totally different. I agree with fizgig, 1.016 is pretty normal for brews made from extract. You could leave it in primary another week but it probably won't drop much more.

Just to clarify my comment above about secondary, usually you don't need to do it unless your adding fruit, aging, etc. A lot of the homebrewing texts still mention the need to do a secondary but that's changed in the last few years.

Have you tasted it? Does it taste ruined? Relax. Beer is hard to ruin.

Latest posts

Back