Should be starting my first brew this week: Pointers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so I'm all set to begin my first brew this Tues, possibly Wed. It will be a new castle style beer. I am confident that it will go fine, just want to know if there are any pointers anyone can give. I will be brewing in a 6 Gal kettle, then fermenting in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Also, should I clean then sanitize everything I use, or can I just sanitize and be okay. I can only get so much from books, I would really like some input from you guys before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

Well, this whole forum is pointers. Do you really want us to re-create it all in your thread again?;) The best advice is to look at the stickies in the beginners section, and the equipment and sanitization section. And also skim through the main threads in any given section they're going to be the most pertinant discussions. Most everything is covered repeatedly on here.

Also, Homebrewdad recently wrote a fantastic blog that I think is invaluable to every new brewer. It covers a lot of great tips and things that we talk about here, and answers most every new brewer question that we tend to get. All in one place. Check it out.

Common Sense for Homebrewers - Some Basics Everyone Should Know.

That covers a lot.

Pointers:

-Chill out, relax, take it slow.
-Plan ahead, make a checklist of what you need to do, and when you need to do it. That way you make sure you clean everything, you add all your ingredients in the right amount at the right time, you don't forget a hop addition, that kind of stuff.
-Make sure you're cleaning and sanitizing everything.
-Make sure you're pitching enough yeast for your brew: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
-Make sure you're controlling your fermentation temperature. Search for "swamp cooler" on here and you'll find a bunch of cheap and easy methods to keep your fermentation at the right temp.
-And last, be patient. Let the yeast do their job. It's really tempting to start messing with your beer, especially on your first one. Patience is a big part of making great beer. Let it ferment for at least 2-3 weeks, and then make sure to let it sit in the bottle for a full 3 weeks, then at least another few days in the fridge. The biggest issue with most new brewer's concerns is they're not being patient enough.

As for cleaning and sanitizing, anything that will touch your wort before the boil should be cleaned, but doesn't have to be sanitized (as the boil will do the sanitizing). Anything that touches your wort after the boil needs to be cleaned AND THEN sanitized. If there's any sort of dirt or grime on anything, bacteria will be hiding in it, and if you sanitize without cleaning you're likely not going to kill it all. There's some one step cleaner/sanitizers out there, but I prefer to just soak in PBW (some on here use unscented oxyclean) and then sanitize with StarSan.

What will you be sanitizing with? If I recall correctly, bleach-based sanitizers might be usable as one-step cleaner/sanitizers.

Are you using a beer making ingredient kit? I assume by "New Castle" you mean Brown Ale? That's a good starting brew.

Read, read read and make notes of important stuff you learn before you start your first brew session, it is no fun to get into the middle of something and have doubts on what to do next. Directions that come with the kits are not always very clear.

Welcome to an addicting hobby!

I love me some brown ale - this is perhaps my favorite overall category of beer. Good luck!

Thanks for the props there, Revvy. We all know that I'm mostly just recycling this forum's wisdom in general (and yours in particular).

Thanks for the replies, @ revvy, Ive skimmed through most of the beginning posts, been taking notes, and have a battle plan. So thanks for that. I will absolutely check out that link as well. @ Qhrumphf, thanks for the info, to be honest, cleaning is really the only I was kinda sketchy about. Most everything I've read makes it clear that cleaning/sanitizing is the biggest deal when brewing beer. Some of the posts kinda threw me off though when it came to doing what at what time, I would not want to ruin my beers taste by using sanitizer when it was not needed etc... Ill be sanitizing with StarSan and I just picked up a 1 pound container of PBW. @ Jayhem I will be using a recipe kit I picked up from Stein Fillers in long beach. Its call Nutty Brown lol. Liquid Malt/Yeast, Fruggle Hops and some mixed grains for steeping.

If you have a smartphone, get a brewing app. Most have brew day timers that will alarm when you need to add items through the boil

Have a bucket. Home depot or Lowes bucket is fine. Fill it with starsan and use it to dip you thermometer, spoon, whatever is going to touch the wort toward the end of the boil.

May want to use a blow off tube if your carboy is filled to the top. Exploding airlocks are cool if you don't have to clean the wall and ceiling.

Use bottled water instead of tap if you have any reservations about the taste of your tap water. Are you doing extract, partial mash, or all grain? Above all else, follow Qhrumphf's number 1 rule ... "Chill out, relax, take it slow." Also, I have a step by step list I'll find and post, unless you've already brewed. Or you can just search through my posts.

Just make sure you rinse well after using PBW and before you sanitize, and you rinse at the same temperature you soaked in, and anything soaked in PBW remains under the surface of the solution the entire time. Things left above the surface of the PBW/water solution that are allowed to dry a bit can form a mineral scale that's near impossible to remove (if it's removable, I've never been able to do it).

Back