Should be an easy one: Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchorage42

Reaction score
The recipe I made for today includes DME, Caramel 60L and Victory. I saw somewhere that I need to mash the Victory with something else for the best results (instead of just steeping it). Will the Caramel do?

What should I do; I read but I'm still a little unclear?

Thanks!
:drunk:

No, in order to do a partial mash you need a malt with diastatic power, like 2-row, maris otter, or another base malt.

HOWEVER- you can steep victory malt. I've done it, along with some other "must mash" grains like biscuit (basically same as victory malt). You will get flavor and color from the victory malt.

Excellent. Thank you madam. What's the benefit of mashing Victory, then, if you can steep it (in relation to an extract based recipe)?

Thanks!

Excellent. Thank you madam. What's the benefit of mashing Victory, then, if you can steep it (in relation to an extract based recipe)?

Thanks!

Mashing will give you more sugars and less starch. If you have it on hand, I'd throw in a handful of 2-row into the steep to turn it into a mini-mash, but like Yoop said, you'll be ok either way.

I don't have any 2 row on hand, unfortunately, that's why I was asking.

Thank you both!

Back