Short's Brewing Co. Freedom of '78 Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michschr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had my first (and only) taste of the Freedom of '78 this past summer and she's been on my mind ever since. Anyone here ever tried it? And, more importantly, come up with a clone recipe? I was more of a n00b last summer and didn't think to take notes for future reference.

Thanks all!

-michschr

Just tried this today and it was out of sight. I'm hoping to find a way to recreate this too. Man was it good.

Agree with the comments, and would love to have a clone recipe! Any updates on this?

Agreed - awesome beer, actually drinking one now! I've had good luck recently emailing Shorts about a Superfluid clone attempt I wanted to take a shot at, and they were really helpful - I sent them a recipe and they gave suggestions to correct the recipe!

Description from the website:
Freedom of ’78 is a medium bodied IPA with a wonderful, bright clarity and pleasing bronze hue. The aroma is a unique fusion of citrus fruit and subtle pine qualities. The distinct characteristics of the guava nectar are impossible to miss, and attributes of tangerine, nectarine, and even faint honey flavors are detectable. The finish quickly turns to an expected IPA bitterness that turns dry during prolonged tastings.

6.9% and 70IBU's

Based on descriptors and the use of Guava to pull more flavor I'd assume an easy malt bill. I personally get the tangerine flavor out of it with the guava finishing off the taste. Short's seems to enjoy the use of Summit hops quite a bit, which definitely impart the Tangerine flavor (Superfluid is a prime example and is indeed used) - the subtle pine notes leads me to believe a dash of simcoe is used. Bittering is moderate but lasting through the palate - perhaps a FWH and a predominate Summit hopping with with Simcoe used as a secondary hop. I'd also assume based on the descriptors a dash of Honey malt to give it the subtle honey flavors and throw the color to the bronze. Just my 2 cents! Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on here to see if anyone takes a shot! I plan on brewing the Superfluid attempt soon but my time is tight now with work.

IMG_1341.jpg

I have two Freedom of 78's left in the fridge from this years supply and I'm really wanting to make a clone of this.

Following your description you would suggest.
8 to 9 pounds 2 - Row
1 to 2 pounds Honey Malt
8 oz Cara 30???

2 oz Summit Hops
2 oz Simcoe Hops

Most likely Dry Hop with both of these as well.

But where does the Guava Fruit come into play? I haven't Dry Hopped with a fruit yet, and I'm hesitant to do so. That tangerine / guava flavor you're describing is strong, but still let's the hops play.

Any other suggestions to create a recipe?

What ever happened with this beer? There was a Shorts tap takeover at Logan's in GR and I'm smitten again by their beers

Latest posts

Back