short term dried hop cone storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyMunk

Reaction score
I just harvested two plants and got enough cones for one batch of pale ale, including the dry hopping. I dried my cones in a mesh herb drying bag with a fan on them for 48 hours, and they feel pretty dry (down to about 35-40% of fresh weight). I am using most of them today in a brew, but want to keep the rest to dry hop this same brew in approx. 7-10 days depending on the time course of the ferment. What is the best way to store the dry hop cones (around 2.5 oz) in the meantime? I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I was thinking about finding the smallest size mason jar that they will fit into, squeeze them into it and keeping it in the freezer. Does this sound good?

EDIT: also, there seems to be quite a few aphids coming off of these cones. I think freezing will kill whatever aphids stay on there, but will these be OK for dry hopping?

Last edited:
...with a fan on them for 48 hours, and they feel pretty dry (down to about 35-40% of fresh weight.)

For accurate alpha calculations, I would recommend getting them down to 20-25%. Adding them now is fine, but you will have to add more. There may also be a slight "grassy" flavor (as if you were fresh hopping).

...thinking about finding the smallest size mason jar that they will fit into, squeeze them into it and keeping it in the freezer. Does this sound good?

That works great. As long as you keep the jar closed to minimize condensation, the cones can be stored this way for many months.

. also, there seems to be quite a few aphids coming off of these cones. I think freezing will kill whatever aphids stay on there, but will these be OK for dry hopping?

The aphids won't stick if the cones were fully dry. That said, they won't hurt anything.

Back