Short cut: Bottling after two weeks in primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
Against standard practice I decided to try bottle right after final gravity is reached without waiting for the beer in the primary to clear.
The reason I did this is that I wanted a shorter production time.
I reasoned that
1. I whirlfloc and I begin the brew with a very clear wort so most of the stuff in the clouded wort is just yeast.
2. I am not bothered by the yeast in my bottle. In fact having a lot of yeast in the bottle simply means that the yeast doesn't have to go through the build up cycle and thus won't impart as much off flavours and can carbonate much more quickly so I don't have to wait that long to drink it.

3. Secondary fermentation/condition can be done in the bottle or a ferment. So why not let it do it while carbonating in the bottle -- again no need for yeast building up cycle.

4. The yeast makes a pretty solid sediment -- so I won't lose to much beer to the bottle.

I was going to bottle after 10days -- but my schedule did not permit that -- it finished fermentation in 8 days. I ended up bottling in 14 days.

I will taste at 2 weeks in the bottle (maybe two weeks and one week in fridge (total 5 weeks) -- or when it is first clear.

As long as it's not some high abv brew like a dark strong, you'll be fine. What style did you brew? I always package 3-4 days after hitting TG.

I usually package pretty early also, but never before the beer is clear. It'll still clear, it'll just leave more gunk in the bottle, but I like just a very light dusting of yeast in my bottle so I'd wait until it's clear.

It's fine to bottle now if you want, though.

I bottle/keg, most of my beers <1.06 after 2 week primary. I'll usually cold crash for the last day tho to make sure its extra clear.

Update. I broke open a bottle and tasted -- this 5 days after bottling. The yeast did its job, good carbonation. Tasted a little young. One more weeks should do it.
So bottle after 2 weeks and wait 1-1/2 weeks you have quite drinkable beer 3.5 weeks.
Actually, I think this is going to be a good refreshing one.

The bottle hasn't cleared. It is wheat yeast -- but it does taste like Uniboue's Blanch de Chambly-- must be the same yeast. Safbrew WB-06. I put it into a pure Pilsner malt extract.

I've got an APA I'm drinking right now. 8 days in the carboy. 3 days cold crash. 2 weeks to carbonate. I just let my bottles sit in the fridge for 2-3 days before I open them. They are well carbed and clear as any other beer. Wouldn't necessarily do this with any beer, but I do most of my summer beers this way. Usually, they are lower grav, simple recipes, and styles that are meant to be drunk early.

When I first started brewing, the instructions in my B3 brew kit said to primary 2 weeks and then bottle. I've been doing the same for over 95 batches now. I haven't found a reason to wait longer. The beer is always clear after 2 weeks in the bottle anyway.

Latest posts

Back