Short Bottles vs Longnecks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
I still bottle my beer since it seems pretty obvious to me that kegging would be too much trouble and a waste of money. (Not really. I was just trolling for the keggers out there who invariably answer bottling questions by suggesting you don't bottle your beer. As if that's helpful.)

I like the shorter (Lagunitas, Prarie, SN, Founders, etc.) bottles. They take up less fridge space. They are easier to pour without the "glug". However, when I have used them, it seems like I have trouble getting a good seal when capping. When I use the longnecks (Bell's, Funky Buddha, Ommegang) I might find 1 in 20 bad seals. I haven't used the shorter bottles since my first couple of batches, because I was having something like a 30% leak rate.

Has anyone had the same experience? I was using the temperature sensitive caps that change color when they are cold. Has anybody found those to be less effective than other caps. I reuse bottles rather than buying new ones, and hate that I have been throwing away the short ones. Especially when so many of my faves come in those.

I never had a problem with leaks, but the occasional break while capping. I think (going off memory) that Lagunitas bottles have given me the most problems.

You should just keg your beer.

Really though... what kind of capper are you using? 30% leaks sounds like a bigger issue than stubby vs. longneck. Even 1 in 20 would be unacceptable to me.

Agreed with @Psylocide. I use stubby bottles from SN, Redhook, and Anchor often, and I haven't had problems with leaks. Occasionally I have to rotate a bottle and press it a second time, but that's it.

I actually have seem to have the best luck with the shorter bottles. The only leaks I have had are on the long necks - but that has been maybe 2 leaks in like 4-5 batches.

The top would be the same size, so I wonder if it's the capper or the caps themselves. I have had what I call "dud caps" before. They just don't seem to want to crimp or seal, but I try another cap and it fits fine.

I still bottle my beer since it seems pretty obvious to me that kegging would be too much trouble and a waste of money. (Not really. I was just trolling for the keggers out there who invariably answer bottling questions by suggesting you don't bottle your beer. As if that's helpful.)

I like the shorter (Lagunitas, Prarie, SN, Founders, etc.) bottles. They take up less fridge space. They are easier to pour without the "glug". However, when I have used them, it seems like I have trouble getting a good seal when capping. When I use the longnecks (Bell's, Funky Buddha, Ommegang) I might find 1 in 20 bad seals. I haven't used the shorter bottles since my first couple of batches, because I was having something like a 30% leak rate.

Has anyone had the same experience? I was using the temperature sensitive caps that change color when they are cold. Has anybody found those to be less effective than other caps. I reuse bottles rather than buying new ones, and hate that I have been throwing away the short ones. Especially when so many of my faves come in those.

I think in 2 years of bottling and probably >1,000 bottles capped, I think I might have had...2 bottles? that had a bad cap job.

Even the woodchuck cider bottles I managed to get a good seal, though I threw them out because of the crown size, it was a PEACH to try to cap them. I only had a few, but since they look outwardly identical to SA bottles, it took a while to weed the 5 or 6 mixed in out.

I do like the shorter bottles, but they are a bit more of pain to fit in 6-packs. I always feel like the cardboard is going to bust. As it is, I am probably 70/30 long to short neck bottles right now. The only chubbies I really buy are SA stuff, but I do like there beer, so I get a 6 or 12 of something every few months.

Oh, also, probably your capper. Are you using the "cheap" black one that came with a beer kit? If so, get a half way decent wing capper. I can't remember the brand, but is it the red one that almost everyone seems to carry for $17-20. Works a lot better than the black one.

Really though... what kind of capper are you using? 30% leaks sounds like a bigger issue than stubby vs. longneck. Even 1 in 20 would be unacceptable to me.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/royal-crown-bottle-capper.html

It's a bottom of the line capper, for sure. And, the 30% was on a first batch. I have been disposing of the short bottles ever since. Even though I had a feeling it was my fault, I just haven't felt like taking a chance on them again. But, I think I'll start putting some away for my next batch. If others are having success I feel like I will too if I am more careful this time. I use the O2 absorbing caps, and didn't want to sanitize more than I needed since I can't put away wet caps for the future. But, I would rather waste a cap than a beer, so I will sanitize a few extra and recap anything that doesn't look perfect.

I think I've heard that those wing cappers can be difficult with the short bottles. That may be your issue.

Or I may be remembering it wrong.

I had problems with using the wing capper on the shorter bottles (almost all of my bottles were previously Boulevard). The problem was that the sides would clamp down too hard on the neck before it pushed the cap down and sealed the edges - for my first several batches, I was losing 5-6 bottles each time to breakage; if it didn't happen on bottling day, it would happen when I opened them. In the middle of one particularly crappy bottling day, I went out and bought a bench capper and have not had a problem since. I figured that by not losing 5-6 beers per batch, the $40 bench capper would pay for itself in no time.

Oh, also, probably your capper. Are you using the "cheap" black one that came with a beer kit? If so, get a half way decent wing capper. I can't remember the brand, but is it the red one that almost everyone seems to carry for $17-20. Works a lot better than the black one.

...another thought...
IF you think that you are going to use an occasional 20oz bottle, the wing capper WILL NOT WORK on many of them. If you can afford to do it, buy a bench capper.

I've had 2 leakers, maybe three, in six batches so far. I use a pretty broad variety of bottles, but my go-to's are Sierra Nevada. They seem to give me the least trouble of any.

I have a red wine g capper and have also had a problem with the shorties. The problem lies in the way my capper grips the neck. There is not enough glass below the cap ring for the capper to push against to properly crimp the cap. A bench capper would probably be the best option for capping anything.

I never had a problem with the color change caps. I also have a bench capper and have had since I started brewing.

I have a red wine g capper and have also had a problem with the shorties. The problem lies in the way my capper grips the neck. There is not enough glass below the cap ring for the capper to push against to properly crimp the cap. A bench capper would probably be the best option for capping anything.

Good call. I just compared the two different types of bottles. My current capper won't work with the small bottles. The distance from the top to where the capper grabs the bottle is too short. New capper? Maybe if I see a good deal on one. But, I suspect the money is better off put towards a future kegging setup. At that point, the number of bottles I might need for sharing and aging would fall to the point that I won't need to save ALL of my bottles anyway.

Hopefully this will save some newbies from wasting beer.

20150617_111238.jpg

...another thought...
IF you think that you are going to use an occasional 20oz bottle, the wing capper WILL NOT WORK on many of them. If you can afford to do it, buy a bench capper.

20s? You mean a 22oz bomber? Because my wing capper works great on those. The only bottles it doesn't work on is short/skinny crowns, which are the minority of bottles out there, twist offs (because WHY would you try to reuse those) and the super heavy duty bottles that are used for sours sometimes (well, and corked bottles).

Tall, short, 12oz, 16oz, 22oz 32oz bottles, if it took at cap to begin with, my wing capper works perfectly on them, EXCEPT those super small crowns (woodchuck has them, I don't think I've seen an actual beer manufacturer that uses them, but I am sure they exist, as per the picture above)

20s? You mean a 22oz bomber? Because my wing capper works great on those. The only bottles it doesn't work on is short/skinny crowns, which are the minority of bottles out there, twist offs (because WHY would you try to reuse those) and the super heavy duty bottles that are used for sours sometimes (well, and corked bottles).

Tall, short, 12oz, 16oz, 22oz 32oz bottles, if it took at cap to begin with, my wing capper works perfectly on them, EXCEPT those super small crowns (woodchuck has them, I don't think I've seen an actual beer manufacturer that uses them, but I am sure they exist, as per the picture above)

There are some larger European format bottles that have a different size cap. Unless you can put a wider bell on, most wing cappers can't handle them. Some Belgian and German ones. But those are often either 375ml, 33cl, 500ml, or 750ml bottles. Maybe that's what you were talking about, but they're often wider, not skinnier.

Full Sail uses them for their lager. I saved almost a case of them before I realized they'd never work.

I've chipped several Sierra Nevada type bottles with a wing capper. If I didn't keg I would switch to a bench capper.

I don't think I've seen an actual beer manufacturer that uses them, but I am sure they exist, as per the picture above)

I just went through my bottles and found that my Goose Island BCBS bottles had short crowns as well, even though they otherwise looked just like my other longnecks.

On an aside, I live in SW Florida, and the best bottles are from Funky Buddha. The labels are some kind of vinyl or plastic, and come off easily in one piece with just a little hot water. And, the Floridian is a damn serviceable hef for the price.

If you don't ever see yourself getting into kegging a bench capper is a VERY worthwhile investment. I had issues with breaking bottles and bad seals with a wing capper and a bench capper was not only cured that but cut bottling day time in half.

If I can plug the collona capper/corker that thing is amazing. Does both sizes of caps corks wine bottles and you can do Belgian corks and cages too. Brewing wise its the best $65 I've ever spent

Back