shockingly small 60 min hop addition - Evil Twin (Pro-Version)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

I brewed a Red IPA loosely based on Jamil's pro version of Evil Twin that he brews at Heretic (BYO Magazine September 2015).

The 5 gallon recipe in the magazine only calls for .31oz of Columbus at 60 min... then nothing until the hop stand at the end.

My version used Simcoe and Citra... with only 1oz of Simcoe at 60 minutes for a 15 gallon batch. I really contemplated if I could make an IPA with such a small bittering addition.

Anyway, just wanted to post this since I was shocked that the beer came out so well with such a small bittering charge. I would not want any more bitterness in this beer.

9:45am 60min addition 1oz of Simoce 12.9%AA
10:40am 3oz of Citra 12.7%AA
10:45am 3oz of Simoce 12.9%AA -- Flame out
1.069 OG

Obviously the bitterness is boosted by the additions in the last 5 minutes.
I did not do a hot hop stand like the recipe called for. I started recirculating through the plate chiller soon after flame out.

BeerSmith has a hard time estimating the IBUs from the late additions... maybe it would do better if I took time/temperature readings to quantify the amount of hop stand that I am getting. I use the 100% hop utilization setting since my batch sizes are under 20 gallons.

Most of my IIPA recipes in the past were based on Pliney... which calls for 3.5oz of Columbus for 90 min (for 6 gallons).

I'm starting to rethink the big bittering charge now.

That's very interesting. I've also noticed Beersmith's numbers seem off on late additions. I'm going to try similar on my next one. Thanks for sharing.

It seems like more and more people are sending samples to labs and finding their actual IBUs are way off from what Beersmith predicted. Like not even close sometimes.

Back