Shocking Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
Hi.

So i've been thinking about lag from when i pitch my yeast to when it shows visible signs of fermentation. Whenever I use dry yeast it seems I end up shocking the yeast and taking 24+ to show signs that it is producing CO2.

Dry yeast I rehydrate at 90 degrees and then pitch into a 60 degree wort. Any tips on how to do this without shocking the yeast?

How bad is it really if they are shocked?

thanks

The yeast are not shocked, that is the proper procedure for pitching dry yeast. Shocking the yeast would require a quick change in the environment. For example, quick changes in temperature, salt content, alcohol content might shock the yeast. Rehydrating the yeast first allows them to rehydrate their membrane and establish turgor pressure.

During the lag phase, it takes time for the yeast to turn on and start operating their cellular machinery. This process tends to, but does not always, take longer for dry yeast.

Your pitching temperature and/or fermentation temperature will also play a role in the speed of yeast growth.

Temper your rehydrated yeast by adding some cool wort a little at a time until the yeast cream is the same temperature of the wort.

The yeast are not shocked, that is the proper procedure for pitching dry yeast. Shocking the yeast would require a quick change in the environment. For example, quick changes in temperature, salt content, alcohol content might shock the yeast. Rehydrating the yeast first allows them to rehydrate their membrane and establish turgor pressure.

During the lag phase, it takes time for the yeast to turn on and start operating their cellular machinery. This process tends to, but does not always, take longer for dry yeast.

Your pitching temperature and/or fermentation temperature will also play a role in the speed of yeast growth.

So if I pitch my 80 degree rehydrated yeast into 60 degree wort, i should be fine?

Temper your rehydrated yeast by adding some cool wort a little at a time until the yeast cream is the same temperature of the wort.

I will have to try this!

thank you both

So if I pitch my 80 degree rehydrated yeast into 60 degree wort, i should be fine?

May work, but it will shock the yeast because of the temperature change. Yeast cell mortality will occur and lag time will increase.

I will have to try this!

thank you both

I hope this helps for a good brew.

Sorry I got hung up on the yeast stress part and missed the point. Definitely temper your proofed yeast down to pitching temperature.

oh ok just wanted to be sure.

Thanks a lot for the info guys! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back