Shirron vs. Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
What is the best way to filter trub from the kettle before it goes through a Shirron plate chiller? I used to use a counterflow chiller and it didn't matter if I the bottom of the kettle drained with a little trub in the wort, but I'm worried about clogging my new Shirron. Will trub permanently damage the Shirron like it says in the instructions?

I use a method I found on here awhile back. I can't remember what it was called so someone might be able to help you out with the name, but...

Instead of a dip tube going to the bottom of the keg, mine comes out about 4-5 inches from the ball valve. It then splits into a T and two more copper pipes take a turn downward toward the side of the keg at a 45 degree angle. I built it so there's only maybe 1/4" in between the copper and the side of the keggle.

I don't use a plate chiller, so I can't gaurantee it will work, but it seems to do pretty well for me.

Yep, use a dip tube that drains from the side at an angle. Then do a short whirlpool before you drain..

Thats what I do.. seems to work every time.

Back