Shipping into the USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
I am living in Bangkok, Thailand and have some relatives living in the US that would love to try my brew so I was just wondering if I can Fedex it to them. Has anyone done this before?
I can imagine shipping a commercial brew which is properly labelled, but I think there would be some concerns at customs if its a bottle homebrew.

If it can't be done can you just put a couple of bottles in your luggage when travelling to the US?

People have posted homebrew from the US to me up here in CM.
But,as you say,the other way would be touch and go,remembering that it is NOT legal to home brew here in Thailand.
We are rebels

Wouldn't customs open the box? Also, you cannot fly with the beers in your carry on but you can check your bags.

I'm not sure about how bottled stuff with carbonation would hold up on a flight. Especially if it's travelling in a place that isn't pressurized. The reason I mention this is that I had a good friend stationed in Germany once and he was feeling homesick for some of the local soda that is only available locally. I sent him a case. He recieved a stick wet case of broken bottles. It was packed super super well and I don't think all of the bottles broke due to mishandling. I could have dropped that package off my roof and it wouldn't have broken any. I speculated the difference in air pressure may have broke the bottles as they traveled in flight in an unpressurized compartment, possibly freezing as well.

Just a thought for whatever it may be worth.

I'm not sure about how bottled stuff with carbonation would hold up on a flight. Especially if it's travelling in a place that isn't pressurized. The reason I mention this is that I had a good friend stationed in Germany once and he was feeling homesick for some of the local soda that is only available locally. I sent him a case. He recieved a stick wet case of broken bottles. It was packed super super well and I don't think all of the bottles broke due to mishandling. I could have dropped that package off my roof and it wouldn't have broken any. I speculated the difference in air pressure may have broke the bottles as they traveled in flight in an unpressurized compartment, possibly freezing as well.

Just a thought for whatever it may be worth.

Pelican cases are pretty awesome.

Back