Shipping Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Looking for a way to exchange bottled beers internationally. Both homebrew and commercial.

I emailed UPS, and they will if it's a commercial situation and with the proper paperwork. I assume FedEx would have a similar policy.

Yes, all carriers have regulations for shipping beer/alcohol.

However, there are no regulations for shipping marinades, pickles, preserves, etc. ;)

I've figured that's how it's done nationally, but figured internationally it would be further scrutinized. I certainly don't want any trouble, and it would be a shame to lose beer! You get an ugly look in my house if you dump out a perfectly good beer unless you are my grandpa who just has a hard time with craft beers. But I keep trying him!

Morris: I know. I've grown a bit weary from using the search function. It nearly always makes me feel as though I'm in a Bing commercial finding everything but what I'm looking for. I've tried very specific, in quotes, and more vague and I find it quitter frustrating. I'm not sure what I do wrong, but it just rarely works for me.

Thanks for the link!

Reading the sticky I noticed there was never a reference to shipping during the winter. I'd assume it gets mighty cold at 30,000 ft during the winter! Anyone have any experience with that?

To deal with extreme pressure changes might it also be a good idea to slightly under carb and only fill it with maybe a European volume (11.2 oz/350 ml)? Part of this would be commercial beers though. Just don't send a highly carbonated beer?

I'd be especially cautious about shipping internationally. It's probably fine to APOs and things, which use American addresses and avoid customs, but even sending regular goods to another country involves taxes and customs. Alcohol may be breaking international law, so I'd really think twice about doing that!

rodwha said:
Reading the sticky I noticed there was never a reference to shipping during the winter. I'd assume it gets mighty cold at 30,000 ft during the winter! Anyone have any experience with that?

To deal with extreme pressure changes might it also be a good idea to slightly under carb and only fill it with maybe a European volume (11.2 oz/350 ml)? Part of this would be commercial beers though. Just don't send a highly carbonated beer?

Not sure about the temperature, but with glass bottles i don't think you should have an issue with the decreased air pressure - the bottle strength/shape will not be affected.

We Hancock's are a bit ornery and whatnot, but we generally try avoid big trouble. I'm asking him to look into local laws there to ensure there's nothing more serious than a whoopin.

Back