Shiny New 10-gallon G2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
BoilerMaker.jpg

I can't wait to give this a whirl! This thing looks fantastic :)

I have the 15 gallon and I cannot understand why some people complain about it. The valve is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The "BrewMometer" thermometer on this BoilerMaker will not calibrate accurately. It appeared to be on target right out of the box at room temperature in comparison with a digital thermocouple thermometer I use for calibration. Both read 68 degrees. In boiling water, my thermocouple reads 211 and the Brewmometer reads 190. I calibrated the Brewmometer to be correct at the boiling point but it's no longer accurate at the low end. It reads 85 degrees in 72 degree water.

Anyone else have issues with that?

The "BrewMometer" thermometer on this BoilerMaker will not calibrate accurately. It appeared to be on target right out of the box at room temperature in comparison with a digital thermocouple thermometer I use for calibration. Both read 68 degrees. In boiling water, my thermocouple reads 211 and the Brewmometer reads 190. I calibrated the Brewmometer to be correct at the boiling point but it's no longer accurate at the low end. It reads 85 degrees in 72 degree water.

None here. Don't have a Blichmann kettle, but I do have a Brewmometer in my generic boil pot, and it's been dead nuts on right out of the box as compared to my Thermapen.

If it's for a brew kettle I wouldn't worry too much about it being off. I'd just calibrate it at whatever point makes the most sense for you. In my case that would be around 65F because I mostly use the thermometer to decide when to stop chilling before transferring to the fermenter.

Obviously a bigger deal if it's a HLT or MT.

I've found mine to be accurate at room temperature and at boil. I've never tested it through the range, though. Consider contacting Blichmann about it.

I contacted Blichmann and got the following response:

John,
Thanks for the email. Bimetal thermometers usually have a narrow range of operational accuracy, in the 30-40 degrees on each side of the calibration point. As the BrewMometer is best used for checking the temperature of the mash I would calibrate with a trusted thermometer in the range of operation, likely around 158°F. This should keep the differences at the end of the operational scale to a minimum. I am very sorry for the issue. If you continue to experience issues with the BrewMometer not being calibrated correctly for operation please let me know and we will find another solution. Thanks for the patience and have a great day.

I'm not going to worry about it too much since I'll only use it for the boil. I would also use it for chilling if I decided to use my immersion chiller but I bought the hardware to build a counterflow chiller and I'm going to put a digital thermometer on the output end of that.

Back