Shilling 90....what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
So my buddy and I are brewing up a batch of an Odell shilling 90 clone that he has a recipe for. The issue that I'm having is that the hop schedule that he's giving me puts the ibus in the high pale ale range at 55-60. This is the hop schedule.
2 oz n brewer at 45
2 oz perle at 20
3 oz cascade at 15
1 oz mt hood at 10
This is an 11 gal batch btw and the grain bill matches almost exactly what other shilling 90 recipes that I've seen.
Any thoughts on this? Is odells shilling 90 a pale ale, Scottish ale, IPA what???

There's no such thing as an actual Scottish 90/-, so at most the name might imply that it's "inspired by" Scottish styles. But a Scottish ale wouldn't have anything other than about 20-30 IBUs of English bittering hops, with nothing more than a hint of flavor or aroma hops.

There's no such thing as an actual Scottish 90/-, so at most the name might imply that it's "inspired by" Scottish styles. But a Scottish ale wouldn't have anything other than about 20-30 IBUs of English bittering hops, with nothing more than a hint of flavor or aroma hops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Scotland#Shilling_categories

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

page 45

90 shilling is the same thing as a wee heavy, but I agree that that hop bill is crazy for a scottish ale. It's a malt forward sweet style

90 shilling was the tax rate imposed by the Scottish government for the finest ales.

Odell's version is a tribute to that. It's more of a wee heavy that a barleywine. I have a recipe for it at home. I'll look for it later today for you. If I remember it's about 35 ibu's

I have adjusted the hop bill down quite a bit to 33 ibus. Thanks for the input everybody.

Latest posts

Back