Shelf life of liquid yeast and malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
My son got me an Austin kit (Bell's Oberon clone) for my birthday. My latest batch just became drinkable a month ago so I don't have anywhere near 50 empty bottles yet. I put the yeast in the fridge (the "cold pack" was room temp when it arrived).

Does the malt need to be in the fridge too? What is the shelf life for the least in the fridge and the malt at room temp?

If the yeast sits for a long time (several weeks +) you may want to make a starter. Heck, you'd be better off making a starter anyway when using liquid yeast.

I have used saved yeast nearly a year after storing it in the fridge (in sealed mason jar). But in that case I built the yeast up with several incremental starters.

If the yeast sits for a long time (several weeks +) you may want to make a starter. Heck, you'd be better off making a starter anyway when using liquid yeast.

The kit came with a starter capsule. I will probably have enough empty bottles in a couple weeks so it won't sit too long. I just need to drink my current stuff (an Austin Sierra Nevada pale ale clone) faster. :D

You do not have 50 empties after a month? I should send some friends down your way to help you out.

You do not have 50 empties after a month? I should send some friends down your way to help you out.

No, I don't even average 1 beer/day. I like to vary my alcohol intake with gin & tonic, Scotch or wine instead of beer every day. ;)

Why not brew it now and let it ferment until you have the bottles ready for it? Won't hurt to sit in the primary for several weeks :ban:

Why not brew it now and let it ferment until you have the bottles ready for it? Won't hurt to sit in the primary for several weeks :ban:

Hadn't thought of that. I just bought a carboy. Any problem sitting in the secondary fermenter for a couple weeks after primary fermentation is done?

Hadn't thought of that. I just bought a carboy. Any problem sitting in the secondary fermenter for a couple weeks after primary fermentation is done?

No problem at all. Many here will tell you to just leave it in the primary until you are ready to bottle. I don't know what a Bell's Oberon is so I won't speculate on the fermentation schedule.

Look on Craigslist or put an ad for empty beer bottles, you should be able to get enough very quickly.

Latest posts

Back