Shelf Life of Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
I've been kegging for about a year now. I have a two-keg kegarator. I would like to have a couple of kegs on hand so when a keg kicks I'll have another ready to go, keep the pipeline going. I'd be storing the kegged beer in my basement which averages about 60 degrees year round. I'm hoping that some of the folks who have been kegging longer could tell me approximately how long the beer would stay fresh stored like this.

As long as you purge the keg, the beer will last as long as it would in a bottle. So, things like IPAs you don't want to sit around for a long time. But for some other brews you could go a year or more in the keg. I do what you are suggesting. I just went one step further and have a CO2 charging station in the basement. This way, I can store the beers and have them carbonated when I need them. A pipeline is a wonderful thing.

2011-12-30_17-25-51_932.jpg

Hammy71,
Perfect! That's great to hear. Thanks for including the pic too. I have another CO2 tank and regulator so I can do what your doing and have two or three in the pipeline. I get what you are saying about the IPA's or maybe any beer which has been dry hopped, the longer they sit the more the dry hop aroma will dissipate. Thanks again for the feedback!

Hammy71, what pressure do you keep the kegs at? I would assume that your standard 12-15 psi pressure wouldn't get you much carbonation at room temp right?

Hammy71, what pressure do you keep the kegs at? I would assume that your standard 12-15 psi pressure wouldn't get you much carbonation at room temp right?

My basement stays around 60 degrees. So, I have the regulator set for 25-30 psi. Still "set it and forget it", but like you said, the warmer temps require a higher pressure.

You could naturally carbonate your kegs in that case. You'd just have a little extra to blow off in the first pint or two. But, yeah, as long as the kegs are purged with co2, the beer should last indefinitely.

I converted a chest freezer with a Ranco digital controller and it holds 6 kegs. I have a 15 LB CO2 tank in there to prime the kegs, that way their ready when I need them. My kegerator holds 2 kegs. so in order to keep my pipeline, I brew 10 gallons at a time about once a month. I keep at least 20 gallons in the chest freezer chilling and aging at about 38 DG. I like to keep a Belgian and an dry hopped ale on tap at all times

Toecutter said:
I converted a chest freezer with a Ranco digital controller and it holds 6 kegs. I have a 15 LB CO2 tank in there to prime the kegs, that way their ready when I need them. My kegerator holds 2 kegs. so in order to keep my pipeline, I brew 10 gallons at a time about once a month. I keep at least 20 gallons in the chest freezer chilling and aging at about 38 DG. I like to keep a Belgian and an dry hopped ale on tap at all times

Very nice. If I had the room that's the way I'd go for sure.

things like IPAs you don't want to sit around for a long time

Bittering doesn't dissipate too quickly with time, does it? With IPAs, or any other dry-hopped beer, you could hold off on the dry-hopping until you're ready to serve they keg, no? You might loose some aroma and whatnot, but can't you still serve something in that approximate style even if it's been sitting (ageing) for a while, just as long as you either wait to dry-hop or re-hop before serving?

An aged IPA is still an IPA for sure. For me, there is nothing like a fresh IPA. Its a race to the bottom of the keg. I still enjoy the beer.....just for me there is a difference if I let them sit to long. :)

You are essentially cellaring the beer. All beers change with age. Some beers improve. Some get worse. It will be highly dependent on what beer it is. The beer won't spoil, but it won't be the same beer 6 months later, especially at 60 degrees. Higher temperatures will cause a beer to age faster. Also people usually cellar higher ABV beers as they tend to age better.

I have been doing this since last spring and it has worked very well. I even did the beer for a friends wedding this way and combined with a a jockey box, was able to go from my basement to glass with perfectly carbed and cold beer. One lesson I have recently learned is be absolutely sure the keg is spotless and absolutely sanitized. I recently put one on tap to find a slightly sour and off taste. I know the infection came from that particular keg, the sister keg of the batch that was drank first was just fine. I have also been using the yeast from these batches with no ill effects. With the higher temps that the keg sits at for extended times it can allow any bacteria to gain a foothold on your precious beer.

Latest posts

Back