Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Shazbot Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourHopHead

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WPL001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
11P
Final Gravity
1.75P
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68
Tasting Notes
Green Chili aroma with an upfront heat bite. Lingers a little but fades to finish. N
Best of Show and Best Specialty of 2010 NM State fair Amateur.

Recipe: Shazbot Blonde
Brewer: Justin
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.29 gal
Estimated OG: 11.133 Plato
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.18 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.34 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.57 %
0.23 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.23 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
7.09 gm Centennial [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
7.09 gm Centennial [12.20 %] (35 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
7.09 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
7.09 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.97 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 3.28 gal of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
2 Hot and 4 Medium Chili's added 4/24/10 to fermenter. 5 roasted Green chili's added 5/8/10 to fermenter. Kegged 5/21/10

This looks really good. Did you add your first set of chilis to the primary and your second set to the secondary?

All the chili's were added to the primary in 2 stages. Originally it was going to be a red chili ale, but the heat and chili flavor was not there and green chili's were added.

brewing tomorrow. Love the green chili beer. have some roasted hatch green chili's. thinking I'll put some in the boil ( @5 min) and make a tincture w/ the rest w/ some cheap vodka. I'll pour one beer at bottling and use a dropper until i get the right amt of heat...then scale up for my 5 gal batch......thoughts?

brewing tomorrow. Love the green chili beer. have some roasted hatch green chili's. thinking I'll put some in the boil ( @5 min) and make a tincture w/ the rest w/ some cheap vodka. I'll pour one beer at bottling and use a dropper until i get the right amt of heat...then scale up for my 5 gal batch......thoughts?

I am interested to hear your results. I have not done the dropper method yet, but have 1 beer coming up that I want to try it on. Hard to find that line of hot & too hot plus IMO you have to still taste the base beer as well. Good Luck!

Yeah. I had a friend recommend the dropper method. Eliminates the potential for bacteria to develop in the secondary and ensures that you don't cross that too hot line. We'll see. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna put any in the boil or not. I guess I've got a couple hours to decide.

Brewed the base beer up Friday and pitched starter of white labs California V. Fresh chilis in the fridge and looks like a mix of red and green.

Edit 9/23/12: 1 Red and 3 Green added on 9/15/12. Heat there but Chile aroma and flavor low. Added 4 green 9/21/12.

Back