Shaking with O2 vs. using a stone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDeus

Reaction score
Has anyone done any experiments or know of any data that shows which one is more efficient. Currently I open up my O2 tank for a few seconds in my primary to fill up the head space and shake for a few minutes, then repeat the process. It seems like it makes a difference, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra effort to use a stone. I use a Better Bottle so shaking isn't really that difficult.

I read in a previous thread that shaking only adds 2.7ppm of oxygen, but I believe that was just using air which only has 21% O2.

It's my understanding that the stone disperses the oxygen which therefore better dissolves in the wort. I would bet you won't find any actual data on adding oxygen and shaking. I would imagine most brewers who use oxygen use a stone.

This is from Wyeast web site in FAQ

29. What are optimal levels of O2 in wort?

10-15ppm

30. What is the max level of O2 you can get in a carboy using air?

8 ppm.

31. Approximately how long do you have to shake a 5 gallon carboy to get oxygen saturation (8ppm)?

45 seconds of vigorous shaking.

32. How long do you have to run a stone with an aquarium pump to achieve O2 saturation (8ppm) in 5 gallons of wort?

5 minutes.

33. How do you achieve higher than 8 ppm O2 levels in your wort? .

By injecting pure oxygen into your wort through a stone (1 min for 12 ppm). Or, by flowing pure oxygen into the carboy's head space and shaking for 20 seconds, twice.

This is from Wyeast web site in FAQ
33. How do you achieve higher than 8 ppm O2 levels in your wort? .

By injecting pure oxygen into your wort through a stone (1 min for 12 ppm). Or, by flowing pure oxygen into the carboy's head space and shaking for 20 seconds, twice.

Thanks! It doesn't say how much oxygen they flowed on the head space, but I do it for less than 1 minute for both additions.... probably about 20 seconds total.

How does one keep from exceeding optimal levels? It seems testing apparatus would be necessary.

How does one keep from exceeding optimal levels? It seems testing apparatus would be necessary.

Just don't go hog wild. If you're using a stone, try 1min first, and see how things go. Experiment from there to find the optimum level. Different strains have different oxygen requirements. Gravity, wort temperature, and other factors affect how much you should use as well. Based on what I know, it's much easier to underoxygenate than overoxygenate.

Back