SG stalled at 1021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewnoob

Reaction score
this is my third 5 gal batch and I used a True Brew Brown Ale. All was well until i cooled the wort in an ice bath. My thermometer stuck at 100 and would not go lower so I left it in the ice for another 10 min. took a sample with a turkey baster and it felt just luke warm so i transferred to the primary took an OG of 1047 and pitched the Ale Yeast.

When I lifted the primary to put it in my office I noticed the bucket was warmer than expected. I had already sealed it and didnt have another thermometer so I couldnt test the temp. Put it outside in 40 degrees for an hour then back to the office. Action in the airlock next morning was pretty strong and continued for about 24 hours then slowed dramatically. took a reading at 4 days and it was 1021. 5 days after that still 1021 and it tastes pretty sweet. 9 days in the primary so far

Could I have killed some but not all of the yeast with my hot wort? Should I repitch another pack of ale yeast? If so do I aerate after pitching??

Room temp is right at 70.

Thanks- need to get this moving so I can start another batch- I'm hooked

Yes, high temps could have stressed (not killed) the yeast. First, rouse (swirl) the yeast. If that doens't lower FG, then re-aerate, re-pitch, and hope.

I rocked the fermenter 3 days ago but didn't open it. Nothing since then so I think I'll repitch tonight and see what happens.

Ok now I'm stumped. I repitched with rehydrated Muntons 72 hrs ago I have seen a few bubbles in the airlock but only at 1 every 5 minutes at best. I just took a gravity reading and it is still stuck at 1022. (i had readings of 1021 and now 1022 but figured it couldn't go back up!!.

Is it done? With a start at 1047 and FG of 1022 I'm lookin at a 3.2% abv brown ale.

Thinking of bottling a few with carb drops and leaving the rest in the fermenter (I have a spigot on my fermenter so I dont have to transfer to bottle.

Ideas??

Extract or all grain? I recently mashed an all grain brown ale too high and it finished high. Very sweet but still good!

If you dropped from 1.047 repitching wouldn't have done any good. Best you could do is just make do and learn from the experience.

Back