Sg = 1.042

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bri11oh34d

Reaction score
I had planned to do my first batch au naturale so as to keep things simple for myself but after getting the SG and seeing how low it is, I'm thinking I might be forced to add sugar...

Has anyone ever started out with a SG that low? Did it turn out any good

If you do think I should raise it a bit, what should I raise it to? and how much sugar would that take for 5 gallons?

Thanks

i would raise althoug ive never done a low ABV cider before. Take a look at the apfelwein thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/ .Edwort uses dextrose or bottling sugar to raise the ABV. It depends how much you want to up it but i would deffinitly say atleast another 10 to 20 points. You can try adding some honey also. If its a 5 gal batch 2 lbs of honey would bring you up to about 1.056 which will give you a bit more alcohol.

I've got a cider going right now with an OG 1.050, and I'm using Nottingham. No additional sugar added, au natural. Personally I like this level of alcohol, my only concern is mouthfeel and body. Hopefully the yeast won't take it all the way dry, I want a little residual sweetness. ABV wise, this is where I want my ciders.

I was always taught that it was dangerous to to start out with a SG below 1.045. It will yield an alcohol content less than 5.7 and put the cider at risk of spoiling

I've got a cider going right now with an OG 1.050, and I'm using Nottingham. No additional sugar added, au natural. Personally I like this level of alcohol, my only concern is mouthfeel and body. Hopefully the yeast won't take it all the way dry, I want a little residual sweetness. ABV wise, this is where I want my ciders.

nottingham should leave you a nice finished product. It shoudlnt finish too dry

I was always taught that it was dangerous to to start out with a SG below 1.045. It will yield an alcohol content less than 5.7 and put the cider at risk of spoiling

I don't think there's any difference between a cider at less than 5.7 and a beer at less than 5.7. Both need good sanitation and to be kept away from o2 to keep them from spoiling. I thought I heard that anything less than 10 or 11% will be able to harbor bacteria. As long as you're clean, you should be able to make a cider as low in abv as bud light ;)

Back