several months in primary, nail polish aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denverd1

Reaction score
As the title say, brewed and forgot a sweet mean batch. I Crack the lid to rack to secondary and I've got a pungent turpentine/nail polish aroma out of the primary. I fear this one's dead.

Added stabilize and clarify that came with the kit then transferred it. Any thoughts?

As the title say, brewed and forgot a sweet mean batch. I Crack the lid to rack to secondary and I've got a pungent turpentine/nail polish aroma out of the primary. I fear this one's dead.

Added stabilize and clarify that came with the kit then transferred it. Any thoughts?

"Acetone" aroma isn't a good sign!

From my "wine flaws" booklet:

Ethyl acetate.

Description. The commonest ester in wines, ethyl acetate forms from the reaction of ethanol and acetic acid. It imparts the unmistakable and usually objectionable aroma of nail-polish remover (acetone).

Cause. Ethyl acetate frequently develops in grapes on the vine from contamination with Acetobacter spp. and other aerobic bacteria converting alcohol produced by yeasts in wounds to acetic acid. It is a frequent contaminant of thin-skinned varieties of shipping grapes and of skins of grapes pressed for juice and allowed exposure to air before being used for second runs. Acetic bacteria are ubiquitous but their activity is greatly reduced by low pH, low temperature and anaerobic conditions. Sulphite is lethal to them.

Prevention. Grapes - particularly thin-skinned varieties - should be processed as soon as possible after harvest, and for second runs, crushed skins should be sprayed with sulphite solution if they can't be submerged quickly.

Treatment. Sometimes ethyl acetate will revert to the much less evident acetic acid but usually, once detected, it is very difficult to correct. Refermentation in another must will reduce it to some extent and bubbling CO2 through a sintered air-stone, then heavy PVPP fining can be effective as a last ditch measure.

Judging. A noticeable acetone character should be considered a serious fault and the wine judged as undrinkable. At almost imperceptible levels ethyl acetate may be considered a contributor to complexity, particularly in reds. Some judges are very sensitive to it and feel justified in rejecting any wine in which the slightest traces occur. (See Volatile Acidity)

Did you control your temps during fermentation?

I've never heard of temperature issues creating ethyl acetate. I know oxygen is an issue, and keeping the wine or mead on the lees long term, but does a too-high fermentation temperature contribute to ethyl acetate as well?

I beleive i read here on these forums that high ferm temps will make more fusels than normal giving a `nail polish smell`
My ISP is acting up so i really can't go much more into it atm.

Could it be methanol? I am not quite sure how methanol is produced, but I know it will be the first out of the still when distilling. It is also very toxic and can in mild cases cause blindness, or worse, death.

Could it be methanol? I am not quite sure how methanol is produced, but I know it will be the first out of the still when distilling. It is also very toxic and can in mild cases cause blindness, or worse, death.

No. I mean, there is methanol in any fermentation but the "cure" for methanol poisoning is ethanol, so the small amounts of methanol are "cancelled out" by the ethanol.

The danger with methanol is that it isn't really detectable, and that's why "cuts" are made to get rid of it in distillation. Of course, we don't have distillation talk on this forum, so for more on the specific on that you'd probably have to google that.

Thanks all for your replies.

I did control ferm temps. Beer closet stays 70-72* along with the rest of the house.

i remembered that the airlock ran dry for a day of two before I caught it..... I'm afraid too much oxygen got into the bucket causing this condition.

I'll be much more careful with my brews!! Thanks all!

Lot of things can make ya go blind... never thought a bad mead would be one of them!!

Back