settings on Barley Crusher Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewB2Brewing

Reaction score
I recently bought the barley crusher mill and was curious what setting I should use when milling? My current method of brewing is BIAB and have often been double crushing at my LHBS, but my thought is maybe with my mill now, I should set to lowest setting?

I would set the mill pretty much right in the middle of its range and lock it down. Mill a half pound of grain and assess the crush. Open or close the gap accordingly based on your crush results. Retest and repeat.

fwiw, iirc the factory roller gap setting is .039"...

Cheers!

Now that I think about it, this is absolutely correct.

In this case, just test the mill right out of the box without making any adjustments and then go from there. BTW, take the O-ring off that roller, it is not needed for functionality.

Get a set of feeler gauges and check it. If / when you adjust it, check it again. It's the only way you'll get an accurate, repeatable setting that's parallel. Hit or miss is not the way to go.

Get a set of feeler gauges and check it. If / when you adjust it, check it again. It's the only way you'll get an accurate, repeatable setting that's parallel. Hit or miss is not the way to go.

In a pinch, a credit card will do. It is just about exactly the correct gap. It needs to be snug. As in the rollers will move with it. One click looser and it will slip through, one click tighter and it won't move. At least that is perfect on my Crankenstein mill.

Latest posts

Back