Set PSI before or after hooking up keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
I've been kegging for awhile, and usually have 3-4 on tap. However I recently ran dry and only have 1 keg going. I have typically connected my gas line to the keg, then set my regulator to ~12 psi, and never had a problem. I checked the pressure today, and with only one keg instead of my usual 4 my regulator had risen to just under 20 psi. Is the proper way to get the pressure correct to set it prior to connecting any kegs? I'm really wondering if what happened here is that my usual 3-4 kegs are in various states of carbonation, keeping the regulator reading a bit low, and when I only have 1 half full keg on tap the regulator rose to what it would have been set at if no kegs were attached. So what's the proper way to achieve the correct PSI - set the regulator before or after hooking up any kegs? Thanks!

I always set the pressure first and then hook up to the keg. That way I know it will always stay at the PSI that is desired.

your regulator measures pressure currently in the line coming out, NOT the pressure that the adjustment screw is set to. if CO2 is still flowing thru it, then it hasnt reached its set pressure. you can adjust the regulator and wait several minutes for the whole system to reach equilibrium, or you can just close the valve right after the regulator so you dont have to wait.

Back