Sessionable ale for the holidays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theowlman16

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for a winter time beer that is sessionable (drinking it all day) without making me need a nap. No pumpkins allowed!

Do you mean a good session beer for drinking in the winter? Or what the BJCP calls a Winter Seasonable beer? The Winter Seasonable would be spiced, basically - a holiday beer.

If you're looking for a sessionable beer for drinking in the winter, the last two winters we've really enjoyed having a Dry Irish Stout on hand. Think Guinness but with more flavor. Remarkably difficult to make a good one - its so small that its easy to get the proportions out of whack. But damn, when its well done, its fantastic.

Here's the recipe we used last year http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Dry-Stout.html:

64% Pale Malt
23% Flaked Barley
9% Roasted Barley
5% Blackprinz (debittered roasted barley)
0.9 oz Pacific Jade hops (13% AA), 60 minutes
Irish Moss
Nottingham yeast

Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 39.5 IBUs
Calories: 144 kcal/12oz
Color: 32 SRM
Mashed at 152F, Single Infusion, Batch Sparge

The Pacific Jade hops are just some I had on hand, use any neutral bittering hops.

Either holiday or winter, just something different from IPAs, lawnmower beers and the summertime stuff.

I really like belgians for holidays, porters and stouts.

There are so many options, but maybe a Dark/reddish malty belgian beer with some light spices under 6%? Or maybe an ESB with citrusy aroma?

Do you mean a good session beer for drinking in the winter? Or what the BJCP calls a Winter Seasonable beer? The Winter Seasonable would be spiced, basically - a holiday beer.

If you're looking for a sessionable beer for drinking in the winter, the last two winters we've really enjoyed having a Dry Irish Stout on hand. Think Guinness but with more flavor. Remarkably difficult to make a good one - its so small that its easy to get the proportions out of whack. But damn, when its well done, its fantastic.

Here's the recipe we used last year http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Dry-Stout.html:

64% Pale Malt
23% Flaked Barley
9% Roasted Barley
5% Blackprinz (debittered roasted barley)
0.9 oz Pacific Jade hops (13% AA), 60 minutes
Irish Moss
Nottingham yeast

Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 39.5 IBUs
Calories: 144 kcal/12oz
Color: 32 SRM
Mashed at 152F, Single Infusion, Batch Sparge

The Pacific Jade hops are just some I had on hand, use any neutral bittering hops.

Going to brew something quite similar but only with dehusked roast barley and chocolate malt. Both together will be around 12% of the grain bill.

Isn't 23% flaked barley a bit too much? I was planning to use half the amount (never used it before).

I will also play around with some crystal malt additions to get that chocolate flavour.

I really like belgians for holidays, porters and stouts.

There are so many options, but maybe a Dark/reddish malty belgian beer with some light spices under 6%? Or maybe an ESB with citrusy aroma?

Heh - here in the UK 6% is higher than you will ever see in most pubs, "session" means 4%-ish. And I think we might claim porters and stouts from the Belgians....

One option would be to go completely the other way with a wheat beer or helles, a splash of summer in the depth of winter. But I'd be looking at the middle ground between dark mild and porters, say 4.2% with a not-very-attenuating yeast (say 1968) for a bit of sweetness, speciality malts for body and dark fruits for interest - plums, damsons, blackberries, that kind of thing.

@Miraculix - you might want to take a look at this thread on the chocolate front.

Heh - here in the UK 6% is higher than you will ever see in most pubs, "session" means 4%-ish. And I think we might claim porters and stouts from the Belgians....

One option would be to go completely the other way with a wheat beer or helles, a splash of summer in the depth of winter. But I'd be looking at the middle ground between dark mild and porters, say 4.2% with a not-very-attenuating yeast (say 1968) for a bit of sweetness, speciality malts for body and dark fruits for interest - plums, damsons, blackberries, that kind of thing.

@Miraculix - you might want to take a look at this thread on the chocolate front.

I agree that session is something that belongs to under the 5% group, but seeing this is a holiday/winter beer, I usually go with a bit more alcohol... hehe.

But maybe the OP can let us know how much of a beer he/she desires.

@Northern_Brewer
Thanks again!
Don't want to go the using real chocolate route though, but baking oats seems to be a nice idea.

Have you had a Guinness West indies porter? That's the closest commercial I know which goes pretty far into the direction I am after.

Did manage to brew a stout like this before, will manage again!

I was more thinking of the Saltaire approach, which seems to do great things just with pale malt and 10-12% chocolate malt.

I think I have had WIP but am struggling to remember it - big fan of the various Guinness export stouts though, they are real works of art.

I gave the recipe of their multi-award-winning Triple Chocoholic in that Sam Smith's thread - you quite often see it in UK supermarkets these days, it's pretty much the benchmark for chocolate beers here.

I gave the recipe of their multi-award-winning Triple Chocoholic in that Sam Smith's thread - you quite often see it in UK supermarkets these days, it's pretty much the benchmark for chocolate beers here.

Ok, they probably have it at our bigger waitrose, will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Going to brew something quite similar but only with dehusked roast barley and chocolate malt. Both together will be around 12% of the grain bill.

Isn't 23% flaked barley a bit too much? I was planning to use half the amount (never used it before).

I will also play around with some crystal malt additions to get that chocolate flavour.

I brew this beer to the style (at least the BJCP guidelines) and typically a Dry Irish Stout doesn't have chocolate malt. Other stouts I brew do, although the balance tends to be towards roast.

That *is* alot of flaked barley. The reason for that is the challenge of getting a medium full mouthfeel, which is a part of the style, in such a small beer and without adding sweetness. Jamil uses a similar percentage in his recipe in Brewing Classic Styles if I remember correctly.

@Pappers_

Thanks for the clarification. I for myself do not care about styles, so I guess I will throw in some chocolate malt :)

Thx also for the heads up on the flaked barley. I am not as bold as you, but I might also ramp it up in my recipe, for the same reason. It also increases head, doesn't it?

Ok, they probably have it at our bigger waitrose, will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Having just had a look at a comparison site, Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose all list the Blonde but not the Chocoholic - you would have thought that Morrisons in particular would have it as it's so local to them. I'm trying to think where I've seen the Chocoholic, I bought a bottle recently. I thought it was more than an "occasional" but it certainly seems to be one of those beers that's become established in the minds of retail buyers.

. . . It also increases head, doesn't it?

Yes it does :tank:

22713318_10213813565230280_5716541199098639166_o.jpg

Back