Session Stout tinkering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schreiner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I talked the LHBS into ordering a sack of Briess Asburne malt, just so I could play.
I want to make a session stout with lots of body; I'm talking a 1.038 OG beer. Here is my rough draft for the malt bill:

70% Briess Ashburne malt
10% Briess 300l Roasted Barley
10% Weyermann Chocolate Rye
10% Golden Naked Oats

Low 150's mash
26 IBU with a neutral hop
S-04 yeast

The Choco rye has always been a favorite of mine. I'm pretty sure every stout I've ever made has it included. Although it's a dark malt, it doesn't have a roasty taste. It's very smooth.

The golden naked oats is kinda standing in for the flaked barley on this one. I like the descriptors that Simpsons uses for the malt. One friend uses it in his NEIPA's for body.

Opinions? I'd like to hear them! (not that you'll be able to talk me out of brewing it up)

My only though is will u have enough enzymes to convert ive never used ahburn before?. Other wise looks bomb.keep me posted.like the us04 or 002 for stouts myself.

I love Chocolate Rye ( goes well in anything dark, including Black/Cascadian ales ) and GNO ( goes well in Pale ales and IPAs - lends a slightly nutty flavour and great mouthfeel )! The Ashburne malt sounds also pretty nice and I can see the DP is given at 65 on Briess' website, so it should convert, although you should prepare for lower efficiency and extraction.

My only thoughts, if I were to brew this, would be to possibly lower the roasted malts a tad ( to about 7.5% each, 10% GNO and 75% base - would still make it dark enough to look dark ), as it could easily become too much and will drive your mash pH further down, which you might need to adjust with some baking soda.

There is no " sweet " caramel malt in there, so I assume you want the maltiness to come from the base malt?

But otherwise, it looks like a nice, roasty session brew.

I've binned S-04 now - just can't get a good brew with it

for my darks I'll use US-05, Ringwood or M44

when I brew session darks - I'll drop some flowery hops in as well at end - Cascade or something

looks like a good beer - not used Ashburne before - I'll have a look at that

S-04 is a rock star, IMO. Brewed some of my best, award winning beers ever with it. There are a lot of choices out there. If you have a bad experience with one yeast, there are lots of other fish in the sea!

I like my stouts in that inky black color range; I thought about cutting back on the roasted barley and adding some carafaIII dehusked to make up the difference, but the grain bill was getting to busy for me. :) Hazy, you almost had me changing my mind!

I am hoping to get the maltiness from the GNO and the base malt.

I'm doing a full volume mash on this brew, so my water chemistry, along with a modest salt addition, has me in the 5.4 range.

I got clearance from SWMBO, so this is going to go down this afternoon!

You know, I didn't even take note of the smell of the individual malt... the mash/ wort smelled like a mix of coffee and dark chocolate.

FG: 1.013

Turned out pretty good!

IMG_20180322_151651619_HDR.jpg

Did you achieve good body with that recipe?

I’d be concerned with the low OG, low mash temp, and S04’s acid production causing the beer to have a watery/thin/sharp perception.

Did you achieve good body with that recipe?

I’d be concerned with the low OG, low mash temp, and S04’s acid production causing the beer to have a watery/thin/sharp perception.

I would describe it as having a medium body.

The ashburne malt is almost flirting with being crystal malt, with its low DP and darker color. I'm thinking this helps the body quite a bit.

There are improvements to be made with this recipe for sure. I want to get some maris otter in the mix to improve conversion, probably replacing 1/3 of the ashburne. I am going to change the roasted barley and chocolate rye ratios, favoring the choco rye more.

Latest posts

Back