Session IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwf4jericho

Reaction score
Hi,

I came up with this session IPA recipe and wanted some opinions on it. Traditionally I make 2.13 gallon batches (via a Mr Beer fermenter) I scaled it up for 5 gallons just to make life easier to assess. If you want me to post the 2.13 amounts I will.

Grains
5.86lbs of Golden Light DME
0.57lbs of Crystal 60

Hops
0.47 oz Columbus @ 60
1.17 oz Cascade @ 30
1.17 oz Cascade @ 15

Yeast
Safale S-05

Calc IBU: 53
Calc OG: 1.044
Calc FG: 1.011
Calc ABV: 4.3%

Thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate it.

Sounds fine to me. I'd recommend moving the 15 min cascade to a flame out addition, for more aroma (bump up the 60 or 30 to get back the IBUs). Note too that 53 IBUs may seem stronger in a 4.3% beer vs a 6% beer. I'm not saying cut it but note it.

I love me some hops, but i think 53 ibu is way too much for a 4.3% Pale. By comparison, Sierra Nevada Pale is 5.6% 37 IBU. I'd use the same ratio and shoot for 23 IBUs.

Another tip - I like to add a a bit of calcium chloride to the water of my lighter beers to add a bit of mouthfeel/sweetness.

SNPA isn't an IPA. Neither is a beer with 23 IBU's.

I would move the Cascade additions to 15min and 1 min (or 0min) and if you have any Citra, it works really well with Cascade.

SNPA isn't an IPA. Neither is a beer with 23 IBU's.

I would move the Cascade additions to 15min and 1 min (or 0min) and if you have any Citra, it works really well with Cascade.

Sadly I have no Citra on hand. I need to get some though. Maybe based on how this turns out, I can rework to add Citra in to see the difference.

By my calculation, your DME will get you an OG of 1.052, plus whatever you get from the crystal. FWIW.

And +1 on the "More late hops" bandwagon.

Cheers!

Sadly I have no Citra on hand. I need to get some though.

You can also use centennial, simcoe, amarillo, mosaic, chinook, columbus, or a few others. Cascade goes well with everything (almost everything).

Just FYI, using a single hop is great when you're looking for simplicity or learning how a particular variety tastes/smells, but your beer can turn out a little one-dimensional....especially when it's a hop-forward beer. Not saying you have to add more. I make single hop APAs all the time and they're great. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

+1 on more late hops (I'd have at least a 1/4lb total in the boil kettle) and dry-hopping the (#*$ out of it.

You can also use centennial, simcoe, amarillo, mosaic, chinook, columbus, or a few others. Cascade goes well with everything (almost everything).

Just FYI, using a single hop is great when you're looking for simplicity or learning how a particular variety tastes/smells, but your beer can turn out a little one-dimensional....especially when it's a hop-forward beer. Not saying you have to add more. I make single hop APAs all the time and they're great. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Where else do you think I can add more Columbus, I have quite a bit of that in the form of Columbus and Zeus hops.

I love me some hops, but i think 53 ibu is way too much for a 4.3% Pale. By comparison, Sierra Nevada Pale is 5.6% 37 IBU. I'd use the same ratio and shoot for 23 IBUs.

Another tip - I like to add a a bit of calcium chloride to the water of my lighter beers to add a bit of mouthfeel/sweetness.

Guy wants feedback on a "session IPA" and you tell him to aim for 23 ibus?

Sorry, does not compute. I'm sure you're a good dude though. :mug:

By my calculation, your DME will get you an OG of 1.052, plus whatever you get from the crystal. FWIW.

And +1 on the "More late hops" bandwagon.

Cheers!

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant LME. Just caught that myself

So I refined the recipe a little based on advice:

Grains
5.86lbs of Golden Light DME
0.57lbs of Crystal 60

Hops
0.586 oz Columbus @ 60
1.76 oz Cascade @ 15
1.76 oz Cascade @ 1

Yeast
Safale S-05

Calc IBU: 47
Calc OG: 1.044
Calc FG: 1.011
Calc ABV: 4.3%

I am still interested, like I said above where I maybe able to add some additional Columbus to this.

Thanks Again!

You can dry hop with Columbus. If you are really wanting to get rid of some Columbus you could replace your @ 1 with 1oz Columbus, and 0.76 cascade.

Looks better to me. The only worry I have is over the mouth feel so doing something to enhance body may be in order depending on what you are going for.

You can dry hop with Columbus. If you are really wanting to get rid of some Columbus you could replace your @ 1 with 1oz Columbus, and 0.76 cascade.

Looks better to me. The only worry I have is over the mouth feel so doing something to enhance body may be in order depending on what you are going for.

Starting simple with the grains. Any suggestions for body enhancement that I old keep in mind for next time?

Also liking your @1 suggestion. It may even be a good after next mod to taste the differences in the 2.

Thanks.

Columbus can go anywhere. It's versatile. It will give you some dank to balance out the citrus flavor of the cascade. Bittering/flavor/aroma...it's good everywhere if you ask me.

If you want to stay simple with the grains, and it's an extract beer, I would say go for 3/4 lb of carapils and 3/4 lb of Crystal 40. Simple, but effective. You'll notice a difference, but your beer won't be taken over by the grain. It's the grain bill that I did 1,000 times when I started out.

yea yea, i get it, i take that back, 23 IBU is a little light.

But still, the point is you dont want a ton of bitterness with nothing to support it. 50+ IBUs on a 4% beer could be harsh. I would rather have a session IPA emphasizing hop flavor than bitterness. Also columbus tends to leave a lasting biting bitterness, the IBU numbers may say one thing, but taste perception could be different.

Everyones suggestions of moving 30 min or 15 min hops to flame out are accomplishing the same thing

I'd recommend trying some flaked barley for body, mouthfeel, and a hint of creaminess. Maybe 3-5%.

Back