Session IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
Ok here is the dilemma I have been wanting to brew a session ipa for a while something in the sub 4% abv range and I have tried 2x times 1st was:
Tasty's session pale ale
3.9% abv
1.044 og
1.014 fg
ibus of 40-50
43% 2-row
19% marris otter
14% pils
14% c-15
5% c-40
5% carapils
Mash 156 for 45 min ( i did 30)
21 ibus 60 min
12 ibus 20 min
9 ibu 10 min

dry hop with 0.5 oz per gallon (he used centennial)

I did this recipe and it has a real bad grainy tasty and slight astringency taste to it plus there is little to no hops(my manifold in my mash tun came undone and some grain got thru and I ended up boiling a little bit of grain). I pulled it off co2 and have let it sit to see if the off flavors will drop out.
While it was waiting to drop out I did another batch in case it never would drop off.

that batch is
57.9% 2 row
21.1% pils
10.5% munich
5.3% aromatic
5.3% c-40

mash at 156 for 30 min

30 ibu 60 min (zythos since I hate this hop and want to get rid of it)
10.9 ibu 10 min centennial
15.2 ibu 10 min columbus

15min whirlpool hops- 0.5oz each of centennial, amarillo, simcoe

ferment with wlp-007

this is done fermenting and it still has the same grainy/astringency taste to it more so the astringency than grainy. This batch is 1.5 weeks old I am unsure if I want to dry hop this or not since I would hate to waste more hops on it. I haven't a clue what I am doing wrong since I can brew a clean 4% cream ale all day long or a 12% belgian golden strong to a stout. I don't know maybe its too many hops in the boil for the gravity? Please help I am open to almost anything here on it I want a nice hoppy 4% beer.

I brewed an IPA with 2-row/munich and Zythos hops once. I got some kinda weird astringent/tannic flavor from it too, which I attributed to the Zythos. At about 6 weeks it started to get good, and by 8 weeks it was fantastic. I say go forward and give it some time.

I have used zythos to bitter most everything here lately and I don't get the flavors I am getting in these 2 batches plus with tasty's session pale ale I used summit to bitter with.

I would worry about your mash thickness and pH although you have done other small beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a feeling its astringency due to to many hops with the low gravity. Since I can brew a clean 4% cream ale.

Tasted the 2nd batch last night and I got a good bit of astringency to it. Its still on the yeast I may move it Saturday and let it sit for a while to see if that will fade away I hope it does or its a dumper as I need the fermenter space.

I have a feeling its astringency due to to many hops with the low gravity. Since I can brew a clean 4% cream ale.

That's probably the case. I once did a session APA that finished too dry for the hops it contained. Had to scrape my tongue between sips.

I just posted a Session IPA in the recipe section the other day that turned out pretty amazing. Maris Otter, Munich, and C-20 for the grains; Belma, Calypso, and Citra for the hops; US-05 yeast. All my hops were added at 15 minutes or later, giving a very smooth bitterness. If I were to do it again I might mash at 158 instead of 156 to try and eek out a little more residual malt sweetness, but I'm really happy with it.

Back