Session Coffee IPA: Dayman Inspired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
I brewed this up yesterday and am curious what anyone thinks. This was inspired by dayman from stone one of my favorite beers.

5 Gallon batch
1.047 OG
44 IBU

4 lbs marris otter
4 lbs 2-row
1 lb flakes oats
mashed @ 150 for 60 minutes

.5 oz nugget @ 60 (25 IBUs)
1 oz cascade @ 10
1 oz citra @ 5
2 oz cascade @ 0 held for 15
2 oz citra @ 0 held for 15
1 oz citra added when temp hit 180, held until the 15 was up then chilled quick

2 oz citra dry hop 4 days
4 oz whole coffee beans time dependent

One packet of us-05 rehydrated for the yeast. I'll probably let this sit for ~2 weeks and transfer to the keg with dry hops. Let sit for 3-4 days. I will then add whole coffee beans to the keg and will remove when the taste is where I want. I'm assuming between 24-48 hours.

Any critiques? What would you guys do differently? I'm excited for this one to finish. Will decide on coffee soon, probably a very light roast with prominent citrus/fruit taste.

Interesting. Never heard of coffee in an IPA.

The base recipe looks solid, but I can't say how it'll blend with coffee. Is this something you've done before? If not, you could take a small sample with a coffee bean or two before you inoculate the whole batch.

I might also add an English IPA might be more accepting of coffee flavors.

I'm thinking of coffee-ing a gallon or so of the session IPA I've currently got dry hopping; probably gonna take about 15 grams, crush them in a mortar and pestle, bag them, and dip them in boiling water for a few seconds to sanitize, then rack a gallon onto that in a jug for a day or two. Glad I saw this, I probably would have forgotten to do this before bottling tonight if I hadn't seen your thread.

I might also add an English IPA might be more accepting of coffee flavors.

^This... more roasty, toasty, biscuity, rich, nutty flavors to accompany a mix of earthy and spicy hops (less bright, citrusy, fruity hops).

I've had a coffee red, and a coffee amber, but never a coffee IPA. My suggestion would be to lower the ibu slightly to account for the bitterness in the coffee, cold brew the coffee and make sure you get very freshly roasted beans preferably with a lot of similar notes to it. Don't get sumatra, or columbian, think kenyan or indonesia or something with a floral and fruity notes not earthy or chocolatey.

There's a local coffee IPA (not session) to me that's very solid. Java The Hop. I think it uses Simcoe. It's very good, give it a try before slamming the idea.

The beer that inspired this is Stone's Dayman collab. That beer was not reserved at all with the citra hops and/or the dryhop. The juicy, tropical and citrus flavors and the coffee were perfect together. They used cascade/citra which is why I went this direction.

I'm using yirgacheffe beans from local roaster Rook in NJ. I love their coffee and Kane brewing turns out amazing coffee beers using them. It's a light roast with nice citrus and floral notes.

So I switched things up a little. I transferred to a keg and dryhopped with 4 oz citra instead of 2. I wanted to do a cascade/citra mix but didn't have any cascade on hand and didn't feel like running to the store. This has been dryhopping for 4 days now, and smells great. This beer would be excellent on its own if I carbed now but I had a vision in mind. I will be adding 2 oz of whole beans as a dry hop and will check on it in 24 hours.

Hopefully it works out, I'll post how everything is and if it's great tasting I encourage others to try this out. Dayman was an incredible beer, one that I thought wouldn't work out but to my delight surprised me. If this can be a session strength version of that I'll be rebrewing and tweaking this quite often.

I did 15 grams of mortar-crushed beans in 4.5 liters of beer, left for two days because life prevented me from bottling after one day. When I bottled, I mixed the last ~5 oz. with a bottle of a homebrewed session IPA. The coffee flavor was crazy strong even diluted 1:2. I haven't tried a carbed bottle yet, but be careful not to overdo the coffee. 2 oz of whole beans in a 5 gallon brew for a day might be fine - it's less coffee and far less surface area than I used, proportionally - but keep a close eye on it unless you're fine with it being more coffee than IPA.

This is definitely going to be a winner. Sampled it to see where the coffee was and its great. Smells very much like dayman. Huge citra nose complimented with floral coffee notes. The taste is much the same. Now the patience of waiting for carb in the keezer. I'll be rebrewing this often and will experiment with coffee/hop combos.

This is definitely going to be a winner. Sampled it to see where the coffee was and its great. Smells very much like dayman. Huge citra nose complimented with floral coffee notes. The taste is much the same. Now the patience of waiting for carb in the keezer. I'll be rebrewing this often and will experiment with coffee/hop combos.

how many days was the coffee in the keg?

How did this turn out?

I roast my own coffee and have long thought that lightly roast Yirga would pair phenomenally well with an IPA. Especially Citra!

Late reply, but this beer came out pretty well. The flavors didn't clash and it tasted pretty similar to stone dayman, but lighter. I would decrease the coffee a tad (3 oz maybe) and keep it at 24 hrs in the keg. I would also increase the dry hop to maybe 4 oz citra / 1 oz cascade or something like that.

Back